No earth for spot lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Hi Chaps was installing Down lights today with one of the electricians. The lights in question were 8 spotlights that only required a L & N. Because of this the supply to the lights was ran to a wago junction box and the sparky ran 2 core ( no earth ) from the supply wago box to each downlight. 

As no earth is required for these spots Is there anything wrong with this other than it doesn’t future proof ? 

Not best practice in my mind. No protection for should someone damage it. 
I hear you on that. If 2 + E was used as there is no terminal for the earth and no space to clip the Earth on a wago inside the down light, how would it be best to terminate the earth. I’ve seen it when the sleeving is put on and bent over but is this the done thing ? 

If it is the final connection it is fine, should someone require a cpc in the future I assume it is at the Wago box. Not much different to a ceiling rose with a two core drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is the final connection it is fine, should someone require a cpc in the future I assume it is at the Wago box. Not much different to a ceiling rose with a two core drop.

If he ran 8 cables from said Wago box that might be OK but I suspect that its daisy chained ...........

In principle it is the same but on an installation then it really depends upon the distance the junction box is from the fitting, 12” fine but excessive distances not so sure. 
It becomes a question of where does the fixed install end and the fitting/fixture begin? 

each point requires a cpc. if the wagobox is very close , i.e a short flex to it and accessible easily through the same hole then not much of an issue, arguablly you have got one at each point. if its a wagobox in the middle with multiple flex to various lights then not

This was my thinking as you have flex from ceiling rose but yes the lights would be daisy chained from each other so best just put the earths in wagos outside the light fittings 

This was my thinking as you have flex from ceiling rose but yes the lights would be daisy chained from each other so best just put the earths in wagos outside the light fittings 

dont forget if the cpc is outside the enclosure then it should be min 4mm for mechanical protection

easiest option... dont fit cheap ****e downlights that are not suitable for cables to be fitted into it

No the cpc must be enclosed leaving it floating about on a connector is just poor quality work and non-compliant. You need a Wago box or similar at each fitting with a short two core cord.

Yes so if each in and out cable went into a wago box and then like 6” of flex went to the Down light then I don’t see how this would be any different to a light pendant. Surely that’s ok ? 

Twin and earth between each wago box, 2 x 3 way wagos and 1 x 2 way wago in each box ...............

Its not difficult and not expensive BUT I see unenclosed wagos all the time - why do people get these really lettuced ideas that this is acceptable?

Yes so if each in and out cable went into a wago box and then like 6” of flex went to the Down light then I don’t see how this would be any different to a light pendant. Surely that’s ok ? 

If it has a CPC then its OK.

Quite.

I would say it means that on a class 2 appliance, a continuous cpc must be present at the point the class 2 is connected to the fixed wiring

With the only exception being the comment...

"Except a lampholder having no exposed conductive parts and suspended from such a point"

Which is basically CPC to everything other than a pendant lamp holder where the CPC terminates at the rose.

If you are doing alterations / additions etc.. 

I really cant see any difficulty in running a CPC to all points...   :C

Also having a CPC there can make polarity testing and/or later fault finding easier.  

Guinness

With the only exception being the comment...

"Except a lampholder having no exposed conductive parts and suspended from such a point"

Which is basically CPC to everything other than a pendant lamp holder where the CPC terminates at the rose.

If you are doing alterations / additions etc.. 

I really cant see any difficulty in running a CPC to all points...   :C

Also having a CPC there can make polarity testing and/or later fault finding easier.  

Guinness

I think we should be reviewing and editing BS 7671 before it’s issued, then we could get some of these crassly worded regulations made much clearer

as the others have poined out, if its diasy chained you really should have the CPC for the cable run, then 2 core to each light. I normally use small JBs coz I'm too tight to buy the wago versions  :^O

Wago boxes are nasty things just a slight step-up from a Chocbox.