do you use capping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i know its dot + dab then nowhats the point ?
but what if they change their mind? done a few jobs where wall was supposed to be D&D. so all boxes got screwed direct to brick. turn up for second fix, and its been plastered & skimmed. with the box sticking out best part of 10mm.

but what if they change their mind? done a few jobs where wall was supposed to be D&D. so all boxes got screwed direct to brick. turn up for second fix, and its been plastered & skimmed. with the box sticking out best part of 10mm.
That's why I always use galv conduit, in case they change their mind, point the blockwork and go for the warehouse lookROTFWL

I always use plastic capping unless I have been told its dot and dab.

When they dot and dab there is no potential danger to the cables from the platerers trowels or floats.

Metal capping provides no more extra protection than plastic, and was used under the 16th edition as a feeble attempt to provide mechanical protection that sadly failed, as any one who had tried to nail it would clearly see.

You have to remember that capping can assist in providing protection whilst under construction and fullfill a requirement for maintenance, in that it would be possible to rewire without any disturbance to the fabric of the building, unless like mine its tight:p

I've taken to using tie wraps with self adhesive bases with a screw through the middle. Supports several cables where necessary, Secure. great beneath kitchen worktops for surface mounting. With a bit of bonding adhesive and finished with readymix does the job a treat!. Worth channeling that little extra depth.

Quicker & easier to install cables with capping IMHO, especially if its thermalite blocks.

Metal capping provides no more extra protection than plastic, and was used under the 16th edition as a feeble attempt to provide mechanical protection that sadly failed, as any one who had tried to nail it would clearly see.

You have to remember that capping can assist in providing protection whilst under construction and fullfill a requirement for maintenance, in that it would be possible to rewire without any disturbance to the fabric of the building, unless like mine its tight:p
I agree that it would not offer much resistance to a hammer drill or hammered nail but I still maintain that metal capping offers some degree of mechanical protection, for example last week I needed to chip a 2 inch by half inch channel in some plaster in a hallway in order to go out the back of some MT2 into the back of a roomstat. As I chipped away with my hammer and (ahem) knocking screwdriver, I hit some metal capping. I knew immediately what I had hit and stopped. Someone had come down the wall with the switchwire for the room on the opposite wall. If that capping had not been there I might have damaged the cable and blown the circuit. I do appreciate however that this wall was not dot and dab but my point is that is that , in my view, metal capping does offer some, protection and is therefore good practice to install.

Yes I use red plugs and plasterboard nails to secure it too. It works perfectly.

it would be in the quote stating that it is 'understood walls to be dob/dab and therefore boxes will not be sunken into brick'

muppet plasterer not to spot the flaw ?

it would be in the quote stating that it is 'understood walls to be dob/dab and therefore boxes will not be sunken into brick'muppet plasterer not to spot the flaw ?
the plasterer on the job was useless. some light switches were fitted to get lighting. the switch front is plastered into wall, and its not just one either...

i would have wet myself laughing if i had seen that !!!! ROTFWL

especially if it wasnt my second fix !!!!

the plasterer on the job was useless
Aren't most of them!

The number of times I've had to dig my cables out, alarm cables in particular, and have come across complete boxes plastered in.

My boss, electrician for 40plus years, told me that years back he had a ring main blowing a fuse. After a week of hunting the cause they found, after alot of head scratching it was a washing machine leaking onto a wall that had a plastered over socket box, with the ring main cables in it, not connected, live and had been like that since the house was built!!!

Aren't most of them!The number of times I've had to dig my cables out, alarm cables in particular, and have come across complete boxes plastered in.

My boss, electrician for 40plus years, told me that years back he had a ring main blowing a fuse. After a week of hunting the cause they found, after alot of head scratching it was a washing machine leaking onto a wall that had a plastered over socket box, with the ring main cables in it, not connected, live and had been like that since the house was built!!!
Was not tested then?

Latest posts