Driving In Earth Rods With SDS Drill?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggy

Reaction score
58 Caravan Hook Up boxes needing earth rods (changing to PME supply), did 15 today, bored witless!

As I'm a lazy sod, thought I could make an adapter to use SDS drill with rotation stop to drive them in - basically cut the end off an old sds bit and weld an M16 bolt onto it.

What does anyone think? Will it work? Has anyone doe it before? Am I a genius? Am I an idiot?

ive been going to use the next chasing bit that snaps (half way down like where they normally break). plan was to drill a hole into it so rod would fit

since that plan, ive never snapped a chasing bit!

also make it a somewhat loose fit between rod and adapter too, since my cordless doesnt have roto stop. save getting other cordless out

but i dont see any reason why it wont work. and it should make it easier in a tight space, like under a floor between a board youve lifted

and dont you mean changing from PME?

also make it a somewhat loose fit between rod and adapter too, since my cordless doesnt have roto stop. save getting other cordless out
Just cottoned on to what you meant there - how about 20mm steel conduit (16mm ish bore) welded onto an old bit - that way I can use my cordless sds with no rota stopApplaud Smiley