landlords testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madspark01

Reaction score
can anyone verrify the correct period for landlords electrical testing keep getting different reactions from landlords. The correct ledgislation would be of great assistance.I know gas is every year but the electrics req clarification i am new to this forum so please be kind (he says as he finishes an other beer and sends his 3yo son to the fridge for an other)Guiness Drink

Hello and welcome :D

There is no legal requirement for a PIR like there is gas safety. The landlord just has a duty of care to the tenants.

can anyone verrify the correct period for landlords electrical testing keep getting different reactions from landlords. The correct legislation would be of great assistance.I know gas is every year but the electrics req clarification i am new to this forum so please be kind (he says as he finishes an other beer and sends his 3yo son to the fridge for an other)Guiness Drink
Exceed the requirements of current rules regulations, that way you can't fall foul of any H&S issues, due care etc.

Periodic Inspection Report, the way to go.

The Godfather

i take it there is no leagal req for PIR for landlords therefor can i advise its good practice. Or might it be a local council req for landlors any answers / advice welcome

i take it there is no leagal req for PIR for landlords therefor can i advise its good practice. Or might it be a local council req for landlors any answers / advice welcome
Some will insist.

(Good practice never fails in any discipline)

The Godfather

You could construct yourself a damn good argument here!

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 require that the electrics are 'safe'. Now the only way for the landlord to know that this is the case is to have a competent electrician test and certify to that effect. The frequency of which should be determined by the individual electrician. Many would argue after a change in tenancy or every 1-5 years.

The issue with gas in CO poisoning which will kill you in your sleep. As far as the landlord covering his own arse is concerned a satisfactory PIR before the tenant moved it would be a good defence if they had done dodgy unauthorised DIY or damaged accessories and something happened.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1994/Uksi_19943260_en_1.htm

The legislation as it stands only requires landlords to provide a duty of care.

One way to prove the landlord has done this is with a PIR.

However since every item in the brb can be deviated from it is no wonder there is confusion.

If it was law, like some gas regulations maybe electricity would be taken more seriously.

Remember electricity does not kill, does not set fires, or causes damage, its safe.

Well thats what we are led to believe, and non of your scheme providers including mine will ever push for legislation.

LONG LIVE THE COWBOY he does it cheap he does it outside the regulations and providing its not dangerous, is never prosecuted, thus saving himself about a grand a year.

Nothing wrong in sticking a 0.05 3 core flex on a 45amp type c breaker, or wiring a full legion club in twin flex for emergency lights.

Hell fire why is there a dedicated electrical profession?

This rant could go on but I am rather upset that people are allowed to get away with shocking installations, and the only way they are found out is when some poor sod dies.

The ruling should be every 12 months just like the gas.

Unfortunately this will never happen,as all electrical indulged authorities will never push for any such legislation, the government do it by risk assesment and allow the thousands of electrical shocks and hundreds of deaths plus the numerous fires as acceptable collateral damage, they just make sure we all pay our anual fees, for our anual sheep dip.

Just a footnote to all those who wonder why gas is so better regulated.

Its because the effects of a gas explosion is visible, and dramatic.

Electricity is silent (but deadly) never the less.

Just a footnote to all those who wonder why gas is so better regulated.Its because the effects of a gas explosion is visible, and dramatic.

Electricity is silent (but deadly) never the less.
I disagree. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is far more common than explosions and can be caused by a gradual blockage of a vent. Kills you quietly in your sleep.

There's no real equivalent in electricity.

You are correct of course, however there are many house fires that are caused by electrical faults, admittedly some are down to appliances rather than the installation

You are correct of course, however there are many house fires that are caused by electrical faults, admittedly some are down to appliances rather than the installation
Absolutely - but a less frequent (5 yearly?) inspection should pick up gradual degradation of the installation?

You can't protect anyone against idiotic DIYers!

Is there not some legislation relating to multiple occupancy dwellings?

If you rent a house out to one tenant or family, then no PIR is required.

If you rent out rooms in the house to separate tenants then isn't an annual PIR required?

Not sure, just something I heard relating to the recent death of the woman when she touched the Bath taps.

There is a more stringent requirement in Scotland

They increased the minimum tolerable standard in 2007, the 'word' is now hitting the street.

See HERE

I called my local council and they were unaware