Jump to content

Becoming a Qualified Electrician in Scotland

Recommended Posts




 Im currently a self employed mechanic / engineer in Scotland and I am looking at retraining to be a Electrician. 


I was looking at going down to England and sitting my C&G Level 2 + 3 diplomas (2365) , Inspection and testing (2391-52) and 18th edition ( 2382-18) 


Once I have these what work I am actually allowed to carry out and self certify in Scotland?


Im hoping to go into newbuilds and commercial work mostly. Are there any additional qualifications or Competent person schemes i need to be part of to do this work? 


Any help would be great , I just don't want to go down the line then find I am very limited to what i can actually do! 


Many thanks, Tom 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know what the electrical qualifications requirements are for Scotland if they’re different at all, but whilst there is not a Part P requirement I do believe there is a different method for notification? @ProDave may be able to advise? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment you don't appear to have to do anything.  I am not registered with any competent persons scheme, and on building control notifiable work, which is just things like new builds or extensions that need a building warrant anyway, you just issue an EIC for the electrical work and give a copy yo building control.  Expect building control so ask for proof of your qualifications if not registered with a competent persons scheme the first time you submit an EIC to them.


For other work that does not need a building warrant, just issue EIC or MWC to customer.  There is currently no need to notify anything aka English part P.  BUT I expect that is going to change soon, there is a lot of talk about doing something but nothing has been agreed.  Personally I expect to have retired before that becomes a requirement.


To do an EICR for a rental property, you do need to be registered with a competent persons scheme.  That is specifically written into the property rental law.  I don't do rental EICR's any more.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.