TOMREADE93

Becoming a Qualified Electrician in Scotland

TOMREADE93

Hello, 

Im currently a self employed mechanic / engineer in Scotland and I am looking at retraining to be a Electrician. 

I was looking at going down to England and sitting my C&G Level 2 + 3 diplomas (2365) , Inspection and testing (2391-52) and 18th edition ( 2382-18) 

Once I have these what work I am actually allowed to carry out and self certify in Scotland?

Im hoping to go into newbuilds and commercial work mostly. Are there any additional qualifications or Competent person schemes i need to be part of to do this work? 

Any help would be great , I just don't want to go down the line then find I am very limited to what i can actually do! 

Many thanks, Tom 

Sharpend

Don’t know what the electrical qualifications requirements are for Scotland if they’re different at all, but whilst there is not a Part P requirement I do believe there is a different method for notification? @ProDave may be able to advise? 

ProDave

At the moment you don't appear to have to do anything.  I am not registered with any competent persons scheme, and on building control notifiable work, which is just things like new builds or extensions that need a building warrant anyway, you just issue an EIC for the electrical work and give a copy yo building control.  Expect building control so ask for proof of your qualifications if not registered with a competent persons scheme the first time you submit an EIC to them.

For other work that does not need a building warrant, just issue EIC or MWC to customer.  There is currently no need to notify anything aka English part P.  BUT I expect that is going to change soon, there is a lot of talk about doing something but nothing has been agreed.  Personally I expect to have retired before that becomes a requirement.

To do an EICR for a rental property, you do need to be registered with a competent persons scheme.  That is specifically written into the property rental law.  I don't do rental EICR's any more.

TOMREADE93

Thanks very much for that @ProDave that's certainly cleared that up for me! 

I'm going to sit the courses I mentioned earlier ( C&G Level 2 + 3 diplomas (2365) , Inspection and testing (2391-52) and 18th edition ( 2382-18) ) Then  Get some experience and possibly register with a competent person scheme.

I spoke to the NEIC and they seemed pretty laid back about me doing it this way. 

Ill try remember to post an update if anything changes etc 

Many thanks 😀