How can I tell if my water supply pipe is providing an earth?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbob888

Reaction score
I would like to have a water meter installed in my ground floor flat which was built in the late 1950's. This from the water company:

When installing meters in properties built before 1996, it may be necessary to replace old metal pipes. Some older electricity systems still rely on the supply pipe providing an 'earth' - this is now prohibited. If you believe your property may have this system, you should contact a qualified electrician to ensure you have an adequate earth. Any costs involved cannot be reimbursed by Affinity Water.
Any advice will be much appreciated and I thank you in anticiaption of same.

Just to add to this I have a Domestic Electrical Installation Condition Report by an NICEIC approved contractor dated in February of 2015 and a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate also dated in February 2015. The latter refers to work done in the bathroom for an electric shower, new lighting and extractor fan. No electrical work has been done since. Will these tell me what I am looking for? 

Last edited by a moderator:
look at page 2, earthing
Ok got page two of the Installation cert. the heading of Particulars of Installation At the Origin has a subheading of "Means of Earthing" am I in the right place?

Box ticked "Distributor's facility"

Ok got page two of the Installation cert. the heading of Particulars of Installation At the Origin has a subheading of "Means of Earthing" am I in the right place?

Box ticked "Distributor's facility"
then its earthed through DNO equipment and not the water pipe. id more surprised if it was still relying on the water only

then its earthed through DNO equipment and not the water pipe. id more surprised if it was still relying on the water only
Don't know what DNO is but sounds like someting you would find in a covid vaccine 🙂

Thank you very much for help Andy and I love the signature, but I would do because I'm from God's country too! Returning to retire in the not to distant future.

Off to book a water meter.

All the best Rob

Don't know what DNO is but sounds like someting you would find in a covid vaccine 🙂
DNO or Distribution Network Operator are who looks after the supply to your house, everything before your meter basically. It varies by area as to who it is.