IP ratings and drain holes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Whenever you install an item outside ( or

special location ) should you drill a drain hole in the enclosure. I’m conflicted about this. Some the chaps at work do some don’t. 

1. If you don’t drill a hole then condensation can build up.

2. If you do drill a hole then the enclosure is in breach of its IP rating. 

Thoughts ? 

always drill a hole at the lowest point. water will get in regardless of how IP rated it is, at least with a drain hole its got somewhere to get out rather than fill the light, enclosure or whatever

I believe the MK Masterseal instructions state, and I stand to be corrected here that if you drill out the drain holes which their back boxes clearly indicate it compromises the IP rating.

special location ) should you drill a drain hole in the enclosure. I’m conflicted about this. Some the chaps at work do some don’t. 

Thoughts ? 
drill the hole at the lowest point AND never use the top entry cable points ……

a small hole on the rear face isn’t going to let water in IMHO

Thoughts ? 

It all depends on which IP rating you are trying to maintain....??

And which IP rating is actually needed in the environment you are installing your equipment...

anything from x1 thro to x4 are unlikely to be affected by drainage holes...

x5 or x6   possibly are not actually required for most outdoor accessories..   unless you are fitting it in a car wash!!!!

x7 or x8   you aren't going to be drilling holes anyway..!!!!

Even an electric shower is typically only IPx4...

If you were daft enough to fire the shower head directly up the bottom of the shower water will get in!!

Can't see how the average outdoor socket would be requiring a higher water ingress protection than an electric shower!!!

especially when you consider that some outdoor light fittings are all good to sit on an external wall with just an IP23 rating.. 

https://www.toolstation.com/bevelled-ip23-glass-lantern/p19868

I think some "electricians" get their head too far up their own rear-end assuming everything must be suitable to be jet-washed or immersed in a pool...

Just use common sense..

Lack of drainage whole can cause loads of problems later!!

Guinness   

Last edited by a moderator: