Adding Downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul62302001

Reaction score
First post here so please be gentle... I removed a pendant light fitting, the cable supplying it is 3 core + earth, I thought the cable cores were red, yellow, blue + earth, I've received a message from the owner saying the cores are red, yellow, BLACK + earth, is there any difference?

I need to use this cable, do away with the pendent fitting replacing it with a downlight AND adding two new downlights... do I just piggy back with an identical cable to the additional two downlights? (Haven't seen the downlights yet so don't know their connection/terminals).

Thanks in advance!

Don't really understand your question???

The downlights are going to have a "Live" & "Neutral" plus possibly a CPC, (earth), if they are not classII..

You simply need to extend the Live/Neutral/Earth from your existing fitting to your new lights..

I would assume NOTHING about what the existing cable colours may or may not be...

(I've seen far too many DIY accessories wired with the incorrect colours prescribed by BS7671 wiring regs)..

Just get back to basics with an appropriate test meter to confirm polarity of the existing wiring..

{best tested dead NOT live, to minimise any risk of shock}

Then extend the wiring accordingly!

Guinness   

(Haven't seen the downlights yet so don't know their connection/terminals).

Are you charging somebody for your skills?

Just remember that even if the downlights are double insulated, the CPC must be continuous from the fuseboard to the end of the circuit and it needs to have RCD protection

I think we need to start again here. You said that you removed the pendant and there was a 3core and earth. Then you say that the owner messaged you to say what colours the cores were?? Did you not notice when you took it down? 

did either you or the owner take a picture of how the pendant was connected before removal? 

I only unscrewed the pendant cover to expose the 3 core and earth cable/connections... the owner subsequently disconnected the cable and threw out the pendant leaving the cable exposed through the ceiling.

No photos have been taken.

I cant verify the core colours as I haven't yet been back but intend to next week...