Second Fix Before Plasterer comes to patch up

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Lady im working for is not getting the plasterer in supposedly until after im finished, now i see this causing issues to my installation, should i tell her to get the plasterer in before i second fix or is then a decent way of second fixing before the plasterer go in.

I think there are significant safety issues if you second fix and power up before the plasterer comes, for example, there is often a significant gap between the fronts and metal boxes through which anybody, especially a child could access live parts, the safety of the plasterer is also in question as he may be putting wet plaster on the wall near live connections. Safety comes first. I would explain to the lady that she should plaster first.

You could always use some of them Yellow inserts, Cant remember what they called used 100's on site too. They basically sit in the back box and you accessory tightens up to it. Thus standing the socket / switch off the wall for plastering without leaving live terminals for probing fingers.

I know I shouldn't say this but whenever a "lady" is running a building project you get all sorts of problems. Safety comes first. Also always remember that plasterers always seem to call the tune on a job IMO Its either ,you'll have get your 1st fix done in record time because the plasterer is coming tomorrow and he can't be put off, he's so bloody important and you're nobody. Or the job dies a death because the plasterer can't come until he's finished his other job, well get someone else then!!

I would never do a job that way. Remember if there is a problem you will be liable. The only time I may liven up a circuit before its plastered is if I can leave slack on cables and when its plastered go back and then fix back. But I always tape up terminals with plenty of insulation tape. We had a thread about this last year can't remember outcome or who posted it perhaps patch could find it.

Batty

It is possible to do first and second fix BEFORE the plasterer comes in, this is done on loads of council refurbs so tennants are not left without power.

Those yozzy boxes are used to space off the socket outlets and switches.

Providing every tempory installation still meets the requirements all is good.

It is possible to do first and second fix BEFORE the plasterer comes in, this is done on loads of council refurbs so tennants are not left without power.Those yozzy boxes are used to space off the socket outlets and switches.

Providing every tempory installation still meets the requirements all is good.
That may be true I would imagine the plasterers on those jobs would be used to doing work that way. But your average plasterer is likely to either trip the circuit out if its Rcd protected or worse electricute themselves.

Batty

That may be true I would imagine the plasterers on those jobs would be used to doing work that way. But your average plasterer is likely to either trip the circuit out if its Rcd protected or worse electricute themselves.Batty
Would make it harder for them to fill it with plaster if it gave em a belt lol.

Advised the lady to get plasterer in before second fix as there are too many potential issues.

All electricians should be issued with cattle prods for the plasterer, that will keep them on their toes.