RCD and Minimum Insulation Readings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
Evening all.

Just a quick one. May be a silly question but, how low can an insulation reading be before an rcd will trip?

Cheers

Chris is this a purely technical question or is it related to an actual installation. are you aware of minimum Insulation Resistance values in the regs ?

Evening all.Just a quick one. May be a silly question but, how low can an insulation reading be before an rcd will trip?

Cheers
An RCD should not trip if you are doing an insulation reading as there is no power on the circuit hopefully:|

A 30mA RCD will trip only if there is a imbalance of more than 30mA between phase and neutral nothing to do with the insulation resistance of the circuit.

Chris is this a purely technical question or is it related to an actual installation. are you aware of minimum Insulation Resistance values in the regs ?
Yeah i know minimum IR for circuits. Ill expand more when i get time tonight.

Chris

....A 30mA RCD will trip only if there is a imbalance of more than 30mA between phase and neutral nothing to do with the insulation resistance of the circuit.
That imbalance is caused by some current (ie, >30ma) leaking down to earth instead of it returning through it's correct return path (L-N). Insulation failure between L/N &E will create a low resistance between L/N & E, which if low enough, will allow 30ma to drain to earth and thus activate the RCD. Typically a switchwire trapped against a metal box by a pattress screw will cause such a low resistance to occur. Therefore my point is that earth leakage causing an RCD to trip can indeed occur as a result of low insulation resistance.

I most definately agree with you on that point R.U.S, and if the circuit connected to this RCD also have additional earth leakage from connected loads etc then then any low values of cable insulation resistance become even more of a potential trip problem.

....how low can an insulation reading be before an rcd will trip?

Well here goes.

I had a job sprung on me last minute, bungalow conversion to dormer. Involving widening and raising the roof. On my initial inspection all was ok ish. TNCS , Other services next to cu, gonna need new board for rcd protection,

Plan

2 extra circuits to add to board for upstairs, Change a few jbs for non maintenance ones. easy job.

Well when builder starts job i get a call "..can you just come and have a look?"

I arrived to find all insulation removed and a mass of wires. Like a spiders web. Wires going everywhere. Counted 24 JBs, Rubber cable, old colours, new colours, Steel wire, JB`s with no covers, Choc blocs everywhere untaped. Decide to crack open cu. MY GOD. Rats nest of above wires. Best was 2.5mm into incoming side of main switch to feed a COOKER because not enough mcb`s.

Turns out the homeowner used to be an electrician down the pit. :_|

Cant have builders working around live stuff so crack on with making safe. found ringmains in multiple loops all interconnected, same with lighting circuits. Ended up removing 50% of the wiring, Connected up all dropped earths.....Tell builder and householder will have to test the lot and see what happens.

Testing arrives. Faults were everywhere. One lighting circuit had a direct connection between live

Chris that looks to me like 11.5 mA leakage.which on its own will not trip a 30mA rcd, but you need to consider what additional leakage there is on the existing installation....by the sound of the condition of this property there is deffo going to be..What is the overall I.R L/N to Earth?

Well when builder starts job i get a call "..can you just come and have a look?"

I arrived to find all insulation removed and a mass of wires. Like a spiders web. Wires going everywhere. Counted 24 JBs, Rubber cable, old colours, new colours, Steel wire, JB`s with no covers, Choc blocs everywhere untaped. Decide to crack open cu. MY GOD. Rats nest of above wires. Best was 2.5mm into incoming side of main switch to feed a COOKER because not enough mcb`s.

Turns out the homeowner used to be an electrician down the pit. :_|
Chris, at this stage I would have contacted the owner and informed him that the property needs a full rewire immediately. If he refused I would have walked away.

I would disconnect that garage feed and leave it out of the circuit as IR should'nt be less that 1 megohm (tabe 10.1 OSG).

Cool, but what would this be in Mega Ohms? 0.07ohms?

Because 1 MegOhm is 1,000,000 ohms, as Andy said 7666.6ohms would be 0.007666 MegOhms. But if your meter only shows two decimal places on the MegOhms scale 7666.6 ohms would actually show as 0.00Megohms, or Zero Meg. Some 'electricians' get confused thinking that a zero reading when doing an insulation resistance test is a short circuit, but as it is on the MegOhms scale Zero meg results could still be over 9000ohms, which is no where near a short circuit..

Doc H.

Thread resurrected from 2009

Is this a resurrection record?

Just.....joining in
It is indeed a long resurrection period. What is more surprising is that it is not just an spammer advertising their overseas electrical supply company, but a genuine question relating to the original topic. Which may make it an even more impressive record?

Doc H.

Cheers chaps, interesting.

Was doing a search on forums for various things and this post got my attention!