AM2 : have i passed or failed? :/

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileroutkast

Reaction score
hey everyone, ill keep it short and sweet. im goin in for my third day on my first AM2 tomorrow morning to complete it but think ive failed already. I made the silly mistake of forgetting to earth all of the switches (the two on the dado trunking) All other switches and accessories are earthed and the bonding is all complete. Everything is earthed apart from them two switches. Am i going to fail because i missed them two switches or due to me earthing everything else have I done enough? My 10 hours have expired on the installation and I only have my fault finding left to do. All responses are appreciated, thank you . . . HELP!

This is hard to call for me because its been over 30 years since I did any sort of course like this.

However if you pick up these faults on testing and inspection will that not count as diligent and corrective?

Yea but I was the one who installed it, so although it would bring it up in the testing, it proves that theres no continuity of CPC, I want to know because if its a fail, like an instant fail, then theres no point in me even doing my fault finding tomorrow. Do you know if you get time to do anything you want to do in your time given to functional test? Like to rectify faults or anything, because if you are then i can quickly connect the earth cables in

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with your AM2 as I have not gone it yet.

There are However, several on here that can help you. Andyc springs to mind, for one.

I am not 100% certtain, but I think I read somewhere on here taht you have a little time on the end to make some last minute adjustments/alterations.

I will have a look through to see if I can find it.

Sorry smileroutkast, I can't find it. Andyc or anyone else in the know will see your thread and will let you know.

Or if Apache gets here first - he will supply a link (If I wasn't dreaming that part, that is).

Yea during the functional testing. You have half an hour to functional test and if all goes well then obviously you have time on your hands. So i could quickly do it

Yea during the functional testing. You have half an hour to functional test and if all goes well then obviously you have time on your hands. So i could quickly do it
Ah ha. As long as your Tutor isn't eagle eyed and spotted it already.

Good Luck with your AM2 - I hope you fly it. :D

I want to know because if its a fail, like an instant fail, then theres no point in me even doing my fault finding tomorrow.
You only have to resit the failed elements. As such, it would be pretty stupid not to complete the remainder of the AM2 in the hope that you pass the other elements. That way, if you fail the composite installation, but pass everything else, then you only have to pay to resit the composite installation (and also complete safe isolation of test rig regardless of whether you passed it the first time).

Are you sure? Because I got told if you fail the installation then youve got to do all of it again. Including fault finding and the testing

Are you sure? Because I got told if you fail the installation then youve got to do all of it again. Including fault finding and the testing
No, I know for a fact that if you resit the composite installation you only additionally need to resit safe isolation of the test rig. Good luck with it.

Incidentally, I don't know the answer as to whether the missing cpcs would be an instant fail or whether you'd just be marked down. But I do know that you should still try to pass as many elements as possible the first time.

I know "The Doctor" and "msb2003" are lecturers and maybe able to help you too.

your fault finding is done on a different test board. as already m,entioned, you get to do functional testing where you may be able to fix it then, but if the earth isnt there at all, i think its too late. for this kinda mistake, i think it may be a failure. iirc, for the first failure you only have to re-take part of the AM2 that you failed. fail again and its the entire AM2

how did you forget to earth them? no earth wired at all or installed but not connected?

if you forgot to connect them, and its discovered on testing, you could argue that testing shown a fault and you would then correct it. mistakes do happen

i connected it in during my time for functional testing, everything worked first time so i had bags of time spare, thinkin about it now though i didnt take an earth to the start/inch/stop controls, but thats all plastic so it shouldnt be a major issue should it? ps my fault finding went crap, lol

i connected it in during my time for functional testing, everything worked first time so i had bags of time spare, thinkin about it now though i didnt take an earth to the start/inch/stop controls, but thats all plastic so it shouldnt be a major issue should it? ps my fault finding went crap, lol
as long as you noticed error and corrected it within time, i dont think its a failure. possibly loose a mark, but that may be all that happens

i dont think i took an earth to the start/stop either. everything there is class II

i got marked down for that, i did have an earth there at one point but i looped it in then realised i coudnt earth it, took it out then got marked down for it

Latest posts