Which trade gets on your t*ts?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
OK simple question, I think I know what the outcome will be, but which trade annoys you the most?

I tried to edit it to have electrician as an option but couldn't do it

I had a plasterer/builder walk off a job, with the customers approval. :p

I turned up to address to do 2nd fix the single storey flat roof'd extension & found plasterer still on site skimming the old part of the house.

Customer starts asking (before I even get inside the place) "you did put in all the cables long enough at the socket locations didn't you. Have you a plan of where the lights were to go";\

Should have been standard plaster straight on to blockwork........but in his infenite wisdom went down the drylining route (not a problem in itself, but I'd checked before I did the first fix what the wall finnish was to be).

Goes in only to find

1) cables cut short in back boxes.

2) Back boxes sealed in behind drylining.

3) 2" gap between back boxes & plasterboard (he'd used battens to fix drylining to wall? rater than boxing in just the pipes in a corner he stood the whole wall off them).

4) gaps around back boxes where board had been cut to large, accessories fell through the hole.

5) All 20 odd downlight tails hidden away behind 150mm of celotex & plasterboard (when I did finaly locate a tail I discovered he'd folded the tails back & looped them behind the clipped cable run along the joist "to make it easier to fit the celotex")

Called the plasterer/builder in & he said "thats how I always do it & it's upto the electrician to get over the problems of finding cables & stuff"

Dont think so mate & this is a rough estimate you'll need to be paying for rectification to the works.

After much effing & jeffing he was helpped off the jobROTFWL

I have had to go with my first choice after some deliberation, however though I choose the plasterer, I would almost equal the plumber in there as well.

I took a few minutes to think about this one..

and ended up picking loft insulator..

1 - they couldn't give a chuff about derating of cables in insulation

2 - they will just lob the insulation over the backs of downlights without a second thought

3 - that effin' insulation itches and gives me a rash

I didn't go with plumber or plaster, cause the guys that I know and work with are really good (we all work together to make each others life easier)

Now if there was an option for kitchen fitter or oven delivery/installers then I might have to rethink!!

Couldn't agree with you more NozSpark.

The usual insulation should be banned, they should be forced to use that stuff that sticks to the inside of the roof.

I'm sure loft insulation will be the new asbestos... give it twenty years and they'll be telling us we're all going to die from it.

Is a loft insulator even a trade.... no skill required what so ever!!!

The lofties get my vote

there is a skill with a loft insulator

try reading the piece of paper they staple to the rafters in the loft....

something about conforming to government recommended regulations !!!

Couldn't agree with you more NozSpark. The usual insulation should be banned, they should be forced to use that stuff that sticks to the inside of the roof.

I'm sure loft insulation will be the new asbestos... give it twenty years and they'll be telling us we're all going to die from it.

Is a loft insulator even a trade.... no skill required what so ever!!!
How right you are Bolt On , I always think the old insulation is worse as its already going to dust, don't know why the new crap is'nt in big PVC sausages.

I won't go in a loft now without mask , damn stuff made me really ill some years back, made me kick the ciggies into touch though.

Deke

Wise choice wearing a mask, I realy should start wearing one.

I hate lofts, they're like hell on earth!!!

By the way it's Bolton sparky, as in Fred Dibnah n all that!!! ;)

I know that Bolt On, I'm winding you up !! ;) Start using that mask you can't breath that crap in. I use one with the respirator filters on as they don't steam up my specs .

Funny you mention Fred Dibnah , I just finished reading a book about him last night, enjoyed his programmes and his enthusiasm for engineering and steam engines, a real character. He was very ill during his last TV series but you wouldn't have noticed , very sad at the end of the book ,when he died.

Book said his funeral cortage was accompanied by steam tractors who all sounded their whistles at the graveside, "Did yer like that ,Fred?" :(

Deke