An old Lighting Board.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltonsparky

Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest to some of you. Still in operation controlling the house lights. Located in a 1900s hall. Was interested what they did regards the asbestos when a fuse wire needed replacing but there wasn't anybody around that knew.

And the other end.

when I see stuff like that, you just know it's not up to todays standards, but I would hate to replace it as it is a thing of beauty (bar the yellow tape) . Makes you wonder if it could be rebuilt with mcbs, but then you are into legal beagle territotory for CE approval etc etc 

@Sidewinder is there a way that such a board can be updated without falling foul of law?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful example of how things were and how they will never be again. The wood grain in that door is unbelievable. 

Far too nice to be removed or even modified but perhaps the lighting should be controlled from a new switch bank located elsewhere.
Why when it still works? 

not sure what the Batman switch is or is it taped off? Might be a compliance issue as not an official lock off method, although it may have been at time of installation ! 

It's a stunning building all round, unfortunately like many of them it leaks like a sieve and needs millions spending on it. The original electrics are very well installed, plenty of MI and original fixtures and accessories around. The fire and CCTV boys have been in and made a right mess of it though, COAX and FP lashed in all over the place, looks like a right dogs dinner. Listed building too.

when I see stuff like that, you just know it's not up to todays standards,

it probably surpasses todays standards,

fuse wire that actually works,

and an install that was actually done to a standard, unlike todays ****e

and MICC, that will be still perfect long after the nuclear war has killed the cockroaches

I'm just amazed that none of the porclean fuse holders are cracked and taped up,,,,,,

Far too nice to be removed or even modified but perhaps the lighting should be controlled from a new switch bank located elsewhere.
Why when it still works? 

I'm guessing that it may not meet present standards for local licensing of a public entertainments building.  If it does then fine, leave it as it is but don't ruin it by, (say), replacing the fuses with MCBs.

I'm guessing that it may not meet present standards for local licensing of a public entertainments building.  If it does then fine, leave it as it is but don't ruin it by, (say), replacing the fuses with MCBs.

Thinking about it, there's nothing wrong with fuse wire anyway, just tend to forget it's still legal.

I suspect it's contruction is not compliant, ie wooden back boards, exposed bus bars internally for example, but I would certainly be looking to modify what can't be seen to make it compliant rather than replace it. Or perhaps beef up fire detection in that area if it can be done in a discreet way. 

when I see stuff like that, you just know it's not up to todays standards, but I would hate to replace it as it is a thing of beauty (bar the yellow tape) . Makes you wonder if it could be rebuilt with mcbs, but then you are into legal beagle territotory for CE approval etc etc 

@Sidewinder is there a way that such a board can be updated without falling foul of law?
Possibly, but not by just whacking things in.