solar panel kit for allotment site

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgenson

Reaction score
we are after some funding for solar panels for a community allotment meeting room. 4 x 100 watt panels , controller and inverter. all come as part of a kit and will only be used to charge power tools and lighting..i am a retired industrial spark so will be installing it myself. problem is the funders are stating that installation will need to be tested and paper certificate supplied. What are peoples thoughts, is this neccesary, no indication of this from supplier and there customer service says no as it is a complete DIY install kit. any advice would be much appreciated as i need to give them evidence it is not reqd before they release funding. cheers

I've been retired five years now and funding people want cert from recognised body and public liability insurance

I once wired a remote public composting toilet, part of an accessible scheme to a fishing lake.

The only wiring was a small solar panel charging a battery to run a small fan to ventilate the toilet and operate a low power 12Vlight on a sensor.

Building control still insisted on an EIC for the job.

If the funding body insists on particular requirement then surely they will have to pay for them?

Sounds to me that you have two options.

1 Find a  practicing spark who will either do the installation for you or certify your work.

2 Find a different source of funding.

we are after some funding for solar panels for a community allotment meeting room. 4 x 100 watt panels , controller and inverter. all come as part of a kit and will only be used to charge power tools and lighting..i am a retired industrial spark so will be installing it myself. problem is the funders are stating that installation will need to be tested and paper certificate supplied. What are peoples thoughts, is this neccesary, no indication of this from supplier and there customer service says no as it is a complete DIY install kit. any advice would be much appreciated as i need to give them evidence it is not reqd before they release funding. cheers

I would think the issue here is not about if something is a DIY kit or not..

More about the fact it is in a location where members of the public, "community" can use some facilities..

So there will be legal obligations and a duty of care in the event of someone being injured from any part of the location..

So will need some official bit of paper to cover the backside to show they have not neglected their responsibilities to protect all users of the meeting room!

e.g.

You could do some DIY electrical work in a private house with minimal requirements for certification..

But if that same house was converted to be a Pub, with a public bar in the lounge,

the same DIY work would most likely need some paperwork to verify liability in the event of something going pear shaped.

Any competent electrician shouldn't have much problem filling in an appropriate electrical certificate.

It is not generally up to suppliers or manufactures to define what certification is or isn't needed in any particular application..

Just as many standard electrical accessories are available for DIY installation..

But other regulations can define the paperwork required.

Guinness