Dodgy CU change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltonsparky

Reaction score
Got called to a job the "sparky" hadn't come back to... on removing the CU lid I found out why...

Nicely done cut outs!

dodgyconsumerunit007.jpg

Neat job!

dodgyconsumerunit005.jpg

Nicely terminated tails!

dodgyconsumerunit004.jpg

17th edition now requires no sleaving!

dodgyconsumerunit006.jpg

And a little more worrying...

dodgyconsumerunit003.jpg

Yes he's cut half the strands out of the main earth and main bonding cables... halfing their CSA!!

How much are earth blocks... a couple of quid!

This was done just over a week ago by an NIC Domestic Installer!

He charged

that is when u report him to the nic

5 day wonder no doubt

nice cpc sleeving !!!

im the first to admit that im not the neatest on a cu change but everything would be there and right.....def. no connector block !!!!!

It's not always possible to ge the cables neat when swapping from the old rewirable fuseboxes, Im sure he could have done better than what he did though.

Looked as though it'd been thrown in in just an hour or so. We spend a day, sometimes longer depending on testing.

We charge

I have seen an NIC job done in feb this year. Chap had used RCD main switch board. I told customer that this was not right and she should report it to NIC. I don't think she was going to.

Batty

people like this need to be reports... and struck off... it just makes you wonder what else there actually doing

wonder why he marked the black cable blue for neutral, but not the other brown for live?

sometimes you cant really make changes neat, but thats just going too far

wonder why he marked the black cable blue for neutral, but not the other brown for live?sometimes you cant really make changes neat, but thats just going too far
was too far back to car for some tape? and only had blue tape on him probabaly.

unless he has used it all on previous jobs.

I've just noticed looking back at the pictures, is the live tail a black cable, can just see it under the grey, maybe it's just the light though!

He's probably that BnQ employee from the thread a couple of weeks back telling people that consumer units are a DIY job!

This is an example of shoddy work if ever I have seen one.As for not charging for certificates he has broken a golden rule, you must always test and issue a cert.

I would report him and enclose the pictures, I would also inform Building Control they carry more weight when talking to a scheme provider.

He will most likely be given the oppertunity to rectify the mess, me I would sit him down and assertain his knowledge to be sure.