So just how wise a move is going all electric?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never mind the internet of everything …. I’m dealing with the sudden and unexpected death of my brother who was single and didn’t have kids

he’s gone 100% paperless and with no access to his phone, desktop or laptop I’m really struggling to find out who his friends are …. Or pretty much anything else

make sure you share your passwords with your loved ones is my advice

Condolences.

The only suggestion I can make is that a computer technician may be able to unlock the password protection for you.

I fear you will get little co-operation from organisations such as banks. They will invoke all sorts of rules for not disclosing anything. 

Once it has gone through probate, a letter from your solicitor will unlock the bank accounts to the executor(s)

I'm still on a mission to understand which are his banks and need all this data for the assessment of his assets before I can apply to probate (as far as I understand the process)

I'm still on a mission to understand which are his banks and need all this data for the assessment of his assets before I can apply to probate (as far as I understand the process)

Condolences. 

You've probably already thought of this but have you ever made payments to each other, going through your account history/your setup payees you may be able to find an account/sort code and Identify the bank from that, won't cover all his accounts if he had more than one but it could be a start. 

Condolences. 

You've probably already thought of this but have you ever made payments to each other, going through your account history/your setup payees you may be able to find an account/sort code and Identify the bank from that, won't cover all his accounts if he had more than one but it could be a start. 

Actually I hadn't but I'm slowing finding old paperwork which is giving me clues and numbers .............

His "filling" is very haphazard - and seems to stop around 2012 

I'm treating this exercise like fault finding an old installation with multiple faults ....... looking at lots of different things and focusing on different aspects as and when information appears from the pile

Last edited by a moderator:
Was your brother in employment, receiving a pension, or any benefits?  Those finance sources could give you clues. Perhaps also local authority, rates/water, etc.

Was your brother in employment, receiving a pension, or any benefits?  Those finance sources could give you clues. Perhaps also local authority, rates/water, etc.
he was VERY lucky to take early retirement about 3 years ago …

I’ve located his bank and have spoken to them, so no money can go in and out of this accounts …. So I guess letters will appear at some point chasing non payment

I think guesstimates are acceptable. Just don't pay a thieving solicitor to do it. My wife did it herself last year after her father died, saving at least £3k
Been doing some reading

Apparently letters to all the interested parties with a copy of the death certificate and probably the will , will probably get me confirmation of balances of accounts and hence calculate the value of the estate

later the probate would allow me to unlock the funds

the way I look at it is that my day rate is much lower than a solicitor so DIY is looking a sensible option AND I won’t get dirty or tired doing it