Fault Finding - Any Tips?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileroutkast

Reaction score
hey everyone, Im looking for a few tips on fault finding, I did my AM2 recently and I found the fault finding difficult, I found it tough finding faults on the lighting. The other circuits I wasnt too bad on but still found it difficult, I was just looking for a few tips on how I can achieve the finding of the faults, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you

read the card with the fault carefully. the faults are fairly obvious from description, so think about what your going to check before you start ripping things apart.

which parts of fault finding do you find hard?

what was the fault you had, and what did you do to find it and what were you not sure about?

I had a lot of trouble with the lighting faults, the test switch and the neon didnt work and I couldnt find out why, if im honest I dont like fault finding on the lighting because I do find it diifcult. Also the 2 way didnt work on the other one and i didnt know why, all the switching worked fine, just couldnt find the fault. Just looking for a few tips on how to solve it or go about it

I found the fault finding in lvl 3 straight forward enough as I'm sure did Admin , I have not done the am2 so can't offer any advice on that but like most fault finding take a little time and think about things before you start to take things apart , your meter will tell you a lot once you have mastered it and will save you a lot of time in the long run , good luck with it though you will be fine ..

cant remember the faults when i did my AM2, but its normally something simple like strappers & feed crossed, cable O/C etc. take covers off and check for anything unusual (like wire fallen out). then check continuity between accessories to make sure its no O/C or crossed with something else. dont be fooled by a blue & brown leaving one accessory and appearing and blue > brown and brown > blue at next accessory

What I teach my students to do is to follow the OSG sequence of tests (apart from polarity that can be done during confirmation of CPC continuity, when using test method 1 (TM1) ) This way all the faults (apart from functional and O/C neutral, will come to you- If you jump in looking for faults you can get a bit frustrated, better to work through the test sequence and let the faults find you. I do teach a little trick to aid fault diagonsitics on Ring Final testing (use TM1 and r1 + r2 value and compare results to R1 + R2 on third step of ring continuity test (i.e r1+r2/4), this is a good indicator of possible duplicate and parallel earth faults on an all insulated wiring system).

quick tip on the AM2 there is usally a fault on the motor inch-device.

ive jus had my results back from my fault finding retake and ive failed it again! :( any help would be greatly appreciated! ps also how do i start a new thread on here? this website is drivin me bananas! lol

The sparky who i trained on the job with used to allways say to me when i went on breakdown was think about it.

Have a fag and a good look at the drawing and he's final word was check the (Tap before you open the Reservoir) meaning look for the obvious before you start taking things a part and to behonest best advice iv'e ever had.

I started a job as an electrician in a quarry. I had come straight out of my apprenticeship so was inexperienced. I was called to a fault involving a hydraulic power pack on a crusher. I went into the switchroom and opened up the panel. There was row after row of switches, fuses, relays, timers, contactors etc. In the switchroom watching me was a supervisor, foreman, assistant manager, foreman fitter as well as others as the whole plant had ground to a halt. I didnt have a clue but didnt want anyone else to know that!

To make things worse, there was no one else on site who was electrically biased. I had to fix it. We all carried 2 way radios and the Quarry manager called me asking what the problem was and how long it would be down. I had to think fast, "it looks like the spondolex and I reckon it'll be about half an hour" With that my audience one by one left me to it. I closede the switchroom door and found a drawing. I spread the drawing on the floor and studied it. Within a few minutes I found a thermal overload and re set it and evrything came back on.

The manager did ask me about the spondolex and I told himI had found a spare one......