Wiring Consumer Units Neatly

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips & tricks on making all the wiring neat & tidy, will be doing my first fresh CU next week and would like to make it as neat and tidy as possible.

Try to keep every circuit in order so breaker no1 ie a cooker radial , the neutral would go into no1 on the neutral bar and the cpc would go into no1 on the earth bar etc obviously taking into account the splits on the board that you may have and of course the usual birds nest of wiring that you do your best to straighten out and dress it all in properly afterwards . It will look presentable and make it easier to test and to fault find and you know where you are with it all too . That is how I was taught and now I plan to go it alone I need to get my 2391 and to become registered on a competent persons scheme :)

Take the unit apart when you mount it, din rail off, and wire up the neutrals and earths like megaohm said but this way you can make full use of the space behind the rail for the cables instead of cramming them all in the space above the breakers ...

Someone posted a really good pic of this fairly recently, can't find it right now though ... it's really good way of making the work neat and tidy ...

Edit:

Found it

if you can, install 50x50 or 100x50 above, and cut a slot to match slot in CU. strip outer sheath in the trunking, and drop conductors into CU in line with where they are going. for lives, down back of MCB and back up then down into terminal. for neutral & earth, down into CU then loop up into terminals

I take it you mount the trunking horizontally. how do you put your cables into it? through the open sides? or is that slot your taking about on top of the trunking?

I take it you mount the trunking horizontally. how do you put your cables into it? through the open sides? or is that slot your taking about on top of the trunking?
wylex has a nice slot on the top. cut side from trunking and fix directly above