Those pesky RCDs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
Spoke to a friend I haven't seen for a while. Told me his RCD keeps tripping. Every day at least once. No pattern to it. Just seems to go when something is switched on randomly. Told him i'd pop up and have a look sometime but not sure when it'll be as he lives 3 hours from me.

I can probably sort this one out but the thing that annoys me is that he called an electrician in who took a look around, said he had too many things plugged in (he hasn't), charged him

I would have checked each circuit that is protected by the rcd in turn to try and localise a fault then do an insulation resistance test and then test the rcd itself as even new rcds have been known to fail and hopefully the cause of the fault would have been found otherwise I would be asking for more advice on this forum .....Blushing

I spent hours on the same problem, all the circuits were fine, RCD tester showed the device to be fine.

I stood glaring at the Fuseboard, tapped the RCD lightl with my driver and it tripped, reset it, my mate slams the door as he comes in , trips again. Faulty RCD.

Spoke to a friend I haven't seen for a while. Told me his RCD keeps tripping. Every day at least once. No pattern to it. Just seems to go when something is switched on randomly. Told him i'd pop up and have a look sometime but not sure when it'll be as he lives 3 hours from me.I can probably sort this one out but the thing that annoys me is that he called an electrician in who took a look around, said he had too many things plugged in (he hasn't), charged him

had a simmilar problem try a ramp test i had a volex board tripping at 12ma some times there just to sensitive