6181Y 1.5mm or 6241Y 1.5mm for neutral

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
i will be wiring the lighting on the bungalow using seperate line and neutral cables. My question is do i need a earth in the neutral cable as well as the line cable(using 6241Y for this), Neutral will only run in the loft void and will not be plastered in at any point, rcd protected etc.

Lot of the fittings are decorative ones with very little room and no loop terminal so thought this method would make life easer when it comes to fitting them.

Why not loop T&e feeds in and out of switches..with T&E . SL /N /CPC taken up to lights....lots of new builds are wired like this.

Why not loop T&e feeds in and out of switches..with T&E . SL /N /CPC taken up to lights....lots of new builds are wired like this.
I've recently been called to a few properties wired this way with RCD tripping faults and I am finding that, unless a deep metal box is used, the risk of a feed or switchwire getting trapped (and thus tripping the RCD) is significantly higher than where you just have one T&E.

Having said that, fault finding is nicer when the feeds are in the switches !.

:p

Why not just T&E? headbang

Do you do much installation work?

Nothing like making life hard for yourself.

I did read the thread and there was nothing about not using T&E, only 3 plating.

T&E to switches and one to fitting from switch. < Not making life hard.

Do you do much installation work?
Interesting question (and tone), the rest of your answer implies that your own experience might not be as broad as you think.

The OP seems pretty clear about how (and why) he wants to do the job, if you would wire the circuit in T&E looped in the switches, fine express that view.

Does it make the OP a headbang ?

Not in my eyes.

This is the way i would do it , using 25mm boxs for your switches :)

Its no more difficult or time consuming to run the circuit this way than with T+E.
Concur.

cables still have to be got between supply, switch & fitting..

whether pulling T&E or singles, it don't make a fat lot of difference time wise,

more a question of personal preference and installation characteristics.

AFIK you don't need to bother with an earth in the neutral.

cant think of any reg that says you must have one??

but open to options? :| ?:|

The OP seems pretty clear about how (and why) he wants to do the job, if you would wire the circuit in T&E looped in the switches, fine express that view.
The OP has not made anything clear about why he wants to do the install this way.

The ONLY thing he has made clear is the fittings would be easier to install without 3 plate.

Dont question my experience when you have NO idea who or what i am.

Latest posts