Consumer Units in flats with 2 electrical feeds

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenElec

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been asked to replace a fuse box in a flat with a consumer unit.

I visited the flat today and found that it has 2 separate fuse boxes and 2 separate feeds (possibly on 2 different tariffs).

Does this mean that I need to install two separate consumer units ??

Hi,I have been asked to replace a fuse box in a flat with a consumer unit.

I visited the flat today and found that it has 2 separate fuse boxes and 2 separate feeds (possibly on 2 different tariffs).

Does this mean that I need to install two separate consumer units ??
How many circuits, altogether?

The Godfather

I think your customer /Client will have to have some input to this question ..cos he is the one who will be paying.

I've just re-read the OP....

It could just be that some additional circuits in the past were needed and there wasn't space in the original CU, so they put in another one for those circuits.....

In that case Just 1 CU should do it!!

But if you have E7 then you will have 2 CU's!!

In this case find out more specifically what your customer wants... (1 or both??) and do the work accordingly!

You can now get dual tarriff meters. The old way was for two meters one for normal power one for economy 7.

Ask the provider if they could install a dual meter, then only one cu will be required.

As Noz has corrected me you will need two Cu's but only one meter.

Thanks NozROTFWL

Hey, I do not get involved in the tech side of these new fangled things, I just know they do dual tariff meters, I would assume I was mistaken to suggest a single cu was required, but as I am now getting old and suffering from memory lossROTFWL

I now understand your question.

Who is GH? ROTFWL