Appliance delivery/installers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do the above nearly always refuse to connect up ovens because there are no outlet plates...

Then they claim that it's new government regs/law and that the customer has to have one fitted....

What's wrong with direct connection through an isolator???

Sometimes it is very difficult to convince the customer that the delivery/installer guy is talking through their rearheadbangheadbang

Never mind.... it's more work for meGuiness Drink

Because they're lazy idiots who can't be bothered doing the job they're paid for!!!

I've come across this a good few times.

Had one today where the girl had 3 visits from comet with statements like

"that's illegal'

and it 'was not possible to connect the cooker'

I arrrived at the job and the girl knew us (stayed round the corner), her pal had recommended me to her, but her landlord ended up asking me to go and bill LL (young girl had no cash)

Problem?

No cooker outlet- 25mm box and connector block.

Job done

Oh.......

Forgot to say, they did say it was Illegal and that warranty could be void if it wasn't connected up properly!!!

I've also heard that some won't connect to old colours as it's not to regs...

Oh.......Forgot to say, they did say it was Illegal and that warranty could be void if it wasn't connected up properly!!!

I've also heard that some won't connect to old colours as it's not to regs...
because they dont have a clue, and its probably best that they dont connect...

I think part of the reason they wont connect directly to a Cooker socket or Isolator is due to the fact that many are installed flush to walls[ quite often tiled at that !].This makes it impracticle to access the cooker lead to the rear of the socket.....unless you bodge it...this probably leads to an all out policy of no low level outlet no connection.

we had a wash delivered recently and it was comical

He came in and his words were

"i need to do some check before i plug it it"

of he went, said yes u have bonding to gas and water.... WE DONT HAVE GAS LOL

any how, he then proceeded to plug in his "socket and see" and the words that came from his mouth

"thats not good, your earth is very low, you've got a very low reading of 0.3"

i asked to see his instrument it was a socket and see.. 3 light thingi! i then asked where he got the reading from, and he said its frm the lighs on it, one light in green is 0.1, 2 lights green is 0.2 3 lights is 0.3 and borderline for them to install.

Then i thought sod it, il mention im a sparky

and got my tester out, he then claimed my tester was not adequate to do the testing required!!! YEAH RIGHT

i did proceed to the relevant department to claim, as he could cause worry for a LOT of customers with how he was been

we had a wash delivered recently and it was comicalHe came in and his words were

"i need to do some check before i plug it it"

of he went, said yes u have bonding to gas and water.... WE DONT HAVE GAS LOL

any how, he then proceeded to plug in his "socket and see" and the words that came from his mouth

"thats not good, your earth is very low, you've got a very low reading of 0.3"

i asked to see his instrument it was a socket and see.. 3 light thingi! i then asked where he got the reading from, and he said its frm the lighs on it, one light in green is 0.1, 2 lights green is 0.2 3 lights is 0.3 and borderline for them to install.

Then i thought sod it, il mention im a sparky

and got my tester out, he then claimed my tester was not adequate to do the testing required!!! YEAH RIGHT

i did proceed to the relevant department to claim, as he could cause worry for a LOT of customers with how he was been
no wose than a spark-n-aweek guy that seems to get all the work e.g. we priced a job fo 3 sparks + 1 apprentice for 8 days for 3200 labour only t be beatin for 950... then for him to get beat by 550???

no wose than a spark-n-aweek guy that seems to get all the work e.g. we priced a job fo 3 sparks + 1 apprentice for 8 days for 3200 labour only t be beatin for 950... then for him to get beat by 550???
the appliance was purchased from a large electrical retailer. so was not a spark at all, was just a delivery driver and installer.. missus blagged free install to connect up one pipe and plug it in :)

I'm not bothered by the fact that they won't/can't do it....What does bother me is the fear and worry that they instil in their customers by the lies that they tell....
that's exactly why i reported them, it would be quite concerning for a older person maybe and definitely for some one with no knowledge, or along them lines.

I'm not bothered by the fact that they won't/can't do it....What does bother me is the fear and worry that they instil in their customers by the lies that they tell....
Thats my main concern as well.

Far too many times the public are hoodwinked into believing these bogus professionals.

I had a new washing machine delivered and the delivery driver said he had to do some basic electrical tests before he was allowed to plug it in.

I said ok fire away.

He proceeded to test with a socket and see plug tester.

Aferwards I asked him what was the readings he had, was the ZS ok and was the trip time within the legal reaquirements and by the way was the insulation tests ok?

He looked blank for a moment, then said "oh I take it your an electrician?"

Yes I am and when I test I make sure the tests are viable and correct.

ROTFWL

Thats my main concern as well.Far too many times the public are hoodwinked into believing these bogus professionals.

I had a new washing machine delivered and the delivery driver said he had to do some basic electrical tests before he was allowed to plug it in.

I said ok fire away.

He proceeded to test with a socket and see plug tester.

Aferwards I asked him what was the readings he had, was the ZS ok and was the trip time within the legal reaquirements and by the way was the insulation tests ok?

He looked blank for a moment, then said "oh I take it your an electrician?"

Yes I am and when I test I make sure the tests are viable and correct.

ROTFWL
If they are going to test they could at least use a decent tester but there again if its a TT system that is going to confuse them.

Batty

:|

The problem is that customers beleive them over us because it's a big national company that's telling them it's "illegal" or "dangerous" people are lulled into a false sense of security.

Have been to disconnect many a cooker as the installer from the store won't disconnect, how wrong is that, there's far more damage/danger they can cause connecting than disconnecting, never understood that!

Nothing worse than plastic sparks. I usually like the ones that sit in the pubs, who tell your customers how the job should be done to relay back to you.

I had a simliar thing with an installer for a washing machine. All paid for as part of the deal. I was to busy but happened to be there on that day when it arrived.

Guy came in an said....... 'just going to need to check that it is safe to install' and asked 'where is it going?'

I showed him where and he said 'We can't install it there mate, you've got no taps to connected it to?' ......So I said 'well isn't that what I have paid you for - to install it?' ......the guy said ....'oh no mate we don't do that, we take it out the box and plug it in, thats all'....

Its really funny watching them put the washer back on their van.......

Nothing worse than plastic sparks. I usually like the ones that sit in the pubs, who tell your customers how the job should be done to relay back to you.I had a simliar thing with an installer for a washing machine. All paid for as part of the deal. I was to busy but happened to be there on that day when it arrived.

Guy came in an said....... 'just going to need to check that it is safe to install' and asked 'where is it going?'

I showed him where and he said 'We can't install it there mate, you've got no taps to connected it to?' ......So I said 'well isn't that what I have paid you for - to install it?' ......the guy said ....'oh no mate we don't do that, we take it out the box and plug it in, thats all'....

Its really funny watching them put the washer back on their van.......
:^O

When i worked for a cable company we had the socket testers which we had to use to ensure that the socket was working for the new equipment.

standard practice saves repeat calls and money.

when i recently bought a new gas cooker i needed it connecting to the supply,,,,,paid for the connection...guess what .....cant do that blah blah ....

fine leave it and go,,,,,got local plumber in sorted and said he was talking pants.....

go to store and they didnt batter an eyelid when i asked for a refund on the installation cost. got it of course....

makes me wonder how many people go back for a refund ????? and what do they do if the buy it on the internet.....

cashing in on peoples laziness ??? or making it such a pain to get it back that customers give up ??