Writing Professional Letters...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few hints as to what constitutes a professional letter.

Regarding format and grammer.

Most modern pc programs will have templates, and most important spelling correction.

The main features are the way you address the reader ie: Sir/Madam.

and the sign off ie yours faithfully, sincerley.

It woulod always depend on the tone of the letter and the way you want it to impact.

To be honest a pro letter is one that uses all the correct syntax and spelling, is direct, short and to the point.

I get my other half to do my letters..........she's a legal secretary so is spot on with grammar & spelling & how to word a letter to get a point over (she always says I come across to aggressive if I do a letter).

Yea thats another problem, especially legal letters you have to be extremely carefull with wording, in any dispute, a lie is often described as a misleading comment (lol).

and often you will be required to include a without predjudice statement just to cover your backside.

I spend quite a bit of my time writing professional letters. I will help you anyway I can. I would echo the comments made above re spelling and grammar.

It is especially important to be accurate, precise and without ambiguity. You can only attest to what you know to be true. Evidence helps.

I mention earlier on this forum the story about the Makita I bought which B&Q refused honour the Garauntee (A little story about bad service good service). The letters I sent off to Makita and B&Q got the problems resolved very smartly. It depends what the letter is for but sometimes it depend how you use the words. I would be interested to know the purpose. Terry

I get my other half to do my letters..........she's a legal secretary so is spot on with grammar & spelling & how to word a letter to get a point over (she always says I come across to aggressive if I do a letter).
My missus was a legal sec too very useful when writing letters and her spellings a 100 times better than mine.

Batty

Must use paragraphs , nothing more off-putting than a great block of print, punctuation, correct spelling and write in everyday Standard English (or Welsh :) ) not civil service PC speak. Always read it back later, before sending, first draft doesn't always sound right. Straight to the point , no waffling, don't forget to include any phone numbers, e-mails or address.

As artisans , our grammer , spelling etc may not be as good as those in paper shuffling professions so we need to make an extra effort , use the spell checker or dictionary etc.

On saying that , this Forum has nothing to be ashamed about ( except Apache of course ; \ ) after all we are ELECTRICIANS , the Creme`de la Creme` of the labouring classes.

Well I don't know, its a private thing between Specs and Sandra , any way my French is that bad I'm not sure what I've written now.
Don't you dare tell him what it means Sandra!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X(

Or I shall come round there and scratch your eyes out with my mascara brush.... ; \

whack you round the head with me handbag.... ]:)

AND snap all your high-heels off!!!! X( X( :eek:

:|