firefox/internet very slow

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
managed to get a virus yesterday. installed bullguard which found a few viruses and removed all them. now the only problem is, firefox & IE are very slow to load pages. i have tried with bullguard off but its still the same. any ideas?

Defrag hard disc, remove temp. files, clean up registry.

did u pay for the bull-guard? if not it will find stuff and tell u that u need to sign up and pay a fee to remove them... install AVG it is free of charge and a lot better.. take bull guard off.. it will help

what ever u do is do not use 'Norton' it is ****, and will slow ur computer down big time, dont even have the downloaded program sitting on the computer waiting for installation..

never used norton. used bullguard a few times and its always found stuff AVG and others dont. its slowly getting rid of everything. just a full scan take over an hour. so stuck with the laptop until its done

what ever u do is do not use 'Norton' it is ****, and will slow ur computer down big time, dont even have the downloaded program sitting on the computer waiting for installation..
There's nowt wrong with Norton provided your processor is at least 3gHz. Always used it, always will. Never let me down or caused any probs.

Just make sure that you only have 1 anti virus program on your PC at the same time.. otherwise they can play havoc with your PC.

If you run Linux you don't need anti virus software as there are very few (if any) viruses that target Linux...

My Laptop is very fast now that it's running Ubuntu.. takes about 45 secs to boot up and <30secs to shut down now... Used to take 4min to boot to a useable level with Vista and another 2mins to shut down!!!

i think there is still something left. got it running in safe mode and its still finding stuff
Andy, what on earth are you doing to have so much lurking on your PC?

Do you not run virus check?

The Godfather

Andy, what on earth are you doing to have so much lurking on your PC?Do you not run virus check?

The Godfather
i havent got that much....

there is only 70GB used on HDD1 and 30GB on HDD 2!

i used to have a virus scanner but the free 60 days ran out.... and it slowed things down too much anyway

There's nowt wrong with Norton provided your processor is at least 3gHz. Always used it, always will. Never let me down or caused any probs.
I would be inclined to agree there exbbc,

Peter Norton's, history and background goes back a long way with PC's and their internal workings...

I can remember in the days of DOS using the Norton Utilities suite of programs for doing various tweaking, tuning & fixing of the old Pre-windows PC's.

Although now under the Symantec umbrella, my experience from running early Norton software right through to the current Norton packages has always been good.

;)

i havent got that much....there is only 70GB used on HDD1 and 30GB on HDD 2!

i used to have a virus scanner but the free 60 days ran out.... and it slowed things down too much anyway
The amount on your hard drives is irrelevant: even a small amount of time spent on tinternet can you leave you wide open to a bad case of the nasties.

This is what I use. It picks up a lot of things that AVG don't, It's quick and only

whatever you do do not use norton!

it will not sort out your problem.

I have been involved in the online gaming community for a number of years now and I have found Norton to interfere with online activity.

AVg is good even the free version, I have used most of the propriety programs and all have their good and bad points.

Crap cleaner will do a thourough clean of your pc providing you know what files you are deleting.

Spybot search and destroy will find and destroy all adware that could improve performance.

If your connections to the internet are a problem use the speedtest.net to evaluate your connection speeds.

Remember to reset your router at regular intervals and remove unwanted cookies.

from your speed test download and upload are not that bad, its your latency shown as your ping which is 157. That is high and is due to the various servers you have to go through.

You could do a tracert to find which server is holding you up.