public libility insurance = PIR's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.leung

Reaction score
I have just been informed that PLI does not cover PIR's.. is this for domestic only? something to do with the NIC...

how much cover would i require, also when you r filling in an EIC you are still giving ur opinion...when it comes to the visuals.. etc..

I have just been informed that PLI does not cover PIR's.. is this for domestic only? something to do with the NIC...
Neither.

Public liability is to do with the risk of you injuring someone or damaging property due to physical work/alterations etc you have carried out....

A PIR is just your personal assessment of the condition of a particular electrical installation. (e.g. NO physical alterations or amendments carried out).

Profession Indemnity insurance 'PI' covers the area of risk regarding profession advice or guidance about about the safety of an installation which a customer may dispute...

These are standard policies that relate to many other industries as well..

NOT just electrical, NOT anything to do with Part P, Domestic or NIC/ELECSA et al....

JUST covering your business activities against other third party claims.

I have some PI insurance included as part of my PLI insurance..... (Zurich policy through Trade Direct)
i have the same policy

i would only use the PI part for domestic tests

Personally I don't plan to use either ;) ; ) ;)
:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

Quite right to Noz!

I am sure you are far to a diligent and consciences worker, to ever plan on having claims against you for negligence of your duties!

Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley:D;) :x

I have pro indemnity, it makes sense, I could never afford the outlay of my mistakes.

However I have never had to make a claim, which would suggest I am very diligent, but one never knows :)

When I asked my insurer about PI they said no one is legally required to have it unless you are asked by a client to have it before providing the service. If you give incorrect advice or faulty design then they will take you or your company to court for damages as opposed to the insurer.

I have pro indemnity, it makes sense, I could never afford the outlay of my mistakes.However I have never had to make a claim, which would suggest I am very diligent, but one never knows :)
OH!!! Mr Hornet I am sure you are a top notch diligent worker too :x :DApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

OH!!! Mr Hornet I am sure you are a top notch diligent worker too :x :DApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley
I am but I still insure myself against my forgetfullness lol

just to let you know, i have just got a good deal and now have PI insurance..

thanks for all of ur advice...

matt