intumescent gaskets for sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgaw81

Reaction score
has anyone used these, I have just had call for a client in which i am doing an attic conversion.

He was going thru his spec and noticed that the building control has specified these.. I have never used them before and have never had any reference of them being mentioned in the Building regs.

The Building Control obviously class the wall as a Fire Barrier.

THese Gaskets are readilly available from leading Wholesalers. One tip dont install them Back to Back.

But its all switches and sockets, not just one wall. The property is a detached bungalow, the attic is going to be all strapped and plasterboard. so any fire wall will not be disturbed.

You will have to go with the Building Control Requirements..they do differ from one local Authority to the next.

Go to the Electrical Safety Council Website and search for Downloads..They do an excellant Best Practice Guide on this subject..well worth a read.

A detached bungalow will not require intumescent gaskets.

They where designed for interconnecting walls of stud type construction in homes of multiple occupancy.

The building control have got their wires mixed up (as usual).