nipping pup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktguk

Reaction score
hi, got a 3/4 boarder colly 1/4 springer pup had him about 3 weeks, he follows us about and bites are feet but has started biting down harder now, anyway to stop it. tried some advice from yourtube vids that was tapping him on his chin and another was hold his mouth/nose and slap the hand ur holding him with and right after offer him ur hand and he should resist. none of these work though and only make him get aggressive, any advice much appreciated

You are doing the right thing. A firm 'NO' with a gentle tap on the nose is required. If the dog tries to take you on and play fight - ignore it.

had the same problem when my shepherd was a pup, pach is right by just ignoring the behavior. I also found out that they sometimes nip and bite because they are teething. Give the pup a bone or toy to chew and praise him when he chews it. Rule of thumb is praise the good behavior and ignor the bad....this way the pup will get bored.

I found that asking the dog to get his toy and then play with him while he is holding this in his mouth, that stopped him mouthing.

also if he did mouth my hand i would hold my hand in his mouth until it became unpleasant for him