any ideas

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madspark01

Reaction score
have been having problems with freeview as are a few friends and neighbours signal strength 70 to 80% but still pixelating advice welcome

You have re-tuned your digi-box in? Yes??

Here in South Wales - We had our first analogue to Digital switch over (Last Week) of BBC Channels.

On the 9th of September, we will be having the final conversion from Analogue to digital - Our local Analogue receiver will then be totally switched off and we will need to re-tune our digiboxes in one final time.

After the analogue receiver gets switched off - we will (apparently) have a much stronger signal.

The people who previously couldn't get a digital signal in their area (Or weak signal) will be able to get a good signal at that time too.

HTH.

Admin.

have been having problems with freeview as are a few friends and neighbours signal strength 70 to 80% but still pixelating advice welcome
With a digital signal the aerial needs to be spot on when facing the transmitter as signal is now 1s and 0s and not a waveform. So you may need to get someone in to point it direct to the transmitter.

With a digital signal the aerial needs to be spot on when facing the transmitter as signal is now 1s and 0s and not a waveform. So you may need to get someone in to point it direct to the transmitter.
Are you sure? I thought the digital signal was converted to a radio wave at the transmitter, received as a wave as it always has by your aerial and then decoded by the set top box. How are you sending your 1's and 0's?

Are you sure? I thought the digital signal was converted to a radio wave at the transmitter, received as a wave as it always has by your aerial and then decoded by the set top box. How are you sending your 1's and 0's?
True is so much as you need an analogue carrier wave to embed the digital signal in

However the encoding is digital from a digital source, if you drop a significant number of 1's & 0's as you would with a signal strength below 70% for example, the set top box does not have enough data to reconstruct each frame particularly where you have full HD on a channel with no sub-channels

Indeed it is....

Digital encoded over an analogue carrier signal...

then decoded back again at your set top box,

which is why you have that delay with the transmission times..

such as when watching analogue BBC1 & a free-view Digital BBC1

or

listening to analogue radio compared to radio over free-view box or DAB...

its a free milliseconds behind due to encoding & decoding delays!

:D

Indeed it is....Digital encoded over an analogue carrier signal...

then decoded back again at your set top box,

which is why you have that delay with the transmission times..

such as when watching analogue BBC1 & a free-view Digital BBC1

or

listening to analogue radio compared to radio over free-view box or DAB...

its a free milliseconds behind due to encoding & decoding delays!

:D
Awe I wish I'd said that ; \:pROTFWL;)

Robojin is on the right track

However the encoding is digital from a digital source, if you drop a significant number of 1's as you need the signal strength between 45-65 / Anything above this or below it will be errors in the picture for example, the set top box does not have enough data to reconstruct each frame particularly where you have full HD on a channel with no sub-channels