Boiler connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainydays

Reaction score
Hi all, can someone clarify for me please as i have not had much dealings with central heating systems.

If the link is left in between LS and LR on boiler, Not a combi, then this disables the external controllers such as a timeclock and stat.

The set-up that i have to wire is a Y plan with a roomstat and seperate timeclock. I will therefore have a return live going back to the boiler as per the Y plan wiring diagram, coming from the wiring centre.

Am i right in thinking that i will connect this returning live to the L terminal of the boiler and remove the link between LS and LR?

Thank`s in advance for any replies

Most boilers need a live feed to run pump over run and your switch live goes to ls but read the installation instructions as they can be different.

Batty

yes this does disable the external controls. there should be a link already in it this is removed after instalation.

external controls are part of the req to comply ie room stat and programmer. :)

Hi batty, i thought that LS carrys a live from the boiler to external controls such as roomstats etc, and LR carrys the live back to the boiler.

I will have a good read of the boiler manual when i get back to site.

My initial thoughts are that if i take a permanent feed to L of the boiler then this will take care of the over-run.

My feed from the boiler is obviously through the wiring centre therefore my returning live from the wiring centre back to the boiler will get connected to LR to enable the boiler to fire up when either the roomstat or cylinder stat call for it. The link should also be removed.

This is my first Y plan so i am probably asking questions, which some of you experts think are basic stuff so please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject.

Thank`s to you also jl-heating

If you are following a Y plan should be straight forward. Most boiler instructions come with a wiring plan that you can follow. I personally don't enjoy wiring heating systems, the one that I have just done was underfloor system it had five motorised valves, two manifolds and all the gear in the airing cupboard as well. It took me two days to connect everything up. You will find in time they become easier. Good luck with the one you are doing.

Batty

Hi batty, i thought that LS carrys a live from the boiler to external controls such as roomstats etc, and LR carrys the live back to the boiler. I will have a good read of the boiler manual when i get back to site.

My initial thoughts are that if i take a permanent feed to L of the boiler then this will take care of the over-run.

My feed from the boiler is obviously through the wiring centre therefore my returning live from the wiring centre back to the boiler will get connected to LR to enable the boiler to fire up when either the roomstat or cylinder stat call for it. The link should also be removed.

This is my first Y plan so i am probably asking questions, which some of you experts think are basic stuff so please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject.

Thank`s to you also jl-heating
Sounds fine, most boilers these days are first from spur so if you switch that off the whole system is isolated including controls but that sounds to be what you are doing.