Sockets near a sink

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguar1

Reaction score
Is there a reg stating the distance for a socket from a sink in a kitchen or a wash basin even if its in a factory as i cannot seem to find the regulation if indeed there is one !

I think that many years ago there was a Reg. recommending 1 yard (1Mtr) from a sink, possibly in the 13th or 14th editions and was then dropped , but has continued to cause confusion. I was taught as an apprentice to avoid allowing a kettle flex to be dropped into the sink. The NICEIC used to say there was no Reg. but recommended a waterproof , RCD socket .

Speaking for myself, I still try to keep any socket at least 1 mtr from sink.

i was always told it is good practice not to be able to put your hands in the sink and touch any socket...

which is fine in a big kitchen... but not in a studio flat!!!

Other than the lengths & height of outlets in special locations such as Marinas & Caravan parks, zones in bath/shower rooms ect... (Part 7 page 164 onward ), AFAIK there are NO wiring regulations stating the physical positions, heights, widths, distances of ANYTHING!

other than the general guidance of:

Accessibility 132.12 page 18

External Influences 512.2 page 90

Presence of water 522.3 page 99

Of course manufactures instructions need to be followed 134.1.1 page 19

So you will use you own skill & judgement to assess appropriate locations.

However there are the instances where Building regulations need to be applied...

i.e. socket switch heights for accessibility Part M compliance.

Electricians guide to the building regulations recommends 300mm from appliances, cookers, hobs, sinks.

in a new build im on at the moment, if it was 1m from sink or appliance.. they would have no sockets at all. lol

There is no set distance mentioned in the regs.

Standard accepted best practice distance is minimum of 300mmm.

This also applies to Hobs etc

The 300mm rule we all mention is I am afraid a myth in the overall interpretations of the "guidance".

It is well noted that kitchens that are far too small, it would be impossible to provide the amount of socket outlets, and indeed the required, or should I say recomended distances from other services like water and gas.

There is however a requirement that states suitable for use in that environment.

So providing the socket outlet is "splashproof" it could be placed directly over the sink, with no further restrictions on its use.

However I would not suggest for one minute that you do that!