DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Help with network connections

norv

Installing a small network in my house. Ive run 7 cat5e cables to 7 points & terminated them into the back of a patch panel. I'm assuming I then use patch leads but which ports are they plugged into on the front of the patch panel?

The patch panel is situated right next to where the modem for my internet is connected. How do I get to use the internet on any computer on this network ?

As you can tell this is my weak area!! :coat

Cheers

Installing a small network in my house. Ive run 7 cat5e cables to 7 points & terminated them into the back of a patch panel. I'm assuming I then use patch leads but which ports are they plugged into on the front of the patch panel?

The patch panel is situated right next to where the modem for my internet is connected. How do I get to use the internet on any computer on this network ?

As you can tell this is my weak area!! :coat

Cheers

What have you actually got? is is a router with several ports off the back of it? (e.g. 4)

if so just pick any router port & plug it to the patch lead corresponding to the room where the computer is?

Unless i have misunderstood what you are describing NORV?:|?:|

Might be simpler if you buy an 8 port Gigabit switch, plug the cable from your modem/router into port 8 and the rest in 1-7, job done

What have you actually got? is is a router with several ports off the back of it? (e.g. 4)

if so just pick any router port & plug it to the patch lead corresponding to the room where the computer is?

Ive got a BT home hub with 4 Ethernet connections on the back of it. I dont want to keep having to plug & unplug leads according to which PC I am using.

Might be simpler if you buy an 8 port Gigabit switch, plug the cable from your modem/router into port 8 and the rest in 1-7, job done

OK I am open to options, the patch panel doesnt have to be the final thing. I can get rid of that. Where can I buy this stuff, have you got any links ?

Ive got a BT home hub with 4 Ethernet connections on the back of it. I dont want to keep having to plug & unplug leads according to which PC I am using.

OK I am open to options, the patch panel doesnt have to be the final thing. I can get rid of that. Where can I buy this stuff, have you got any links ?

So ...

you want to stuff 7 room connections into 4 BT hub connections,

without needed to unplug anything when you move rooms or change PC???

Sounds like Robojin is pointing in the right direction?:|

Thanks for the information

How about if I had a printer in one room & wanted to print to it from any PC on the network, how can I do that ?

either purchase a network printer with its own ip address, belkin do a adapter to make a printer into a network printer.

other way is leave a pc on and install the printer to that then share the printer across the network.

either purchase a network printer with its own ip address, belkin do a adapter to make a printer into a network printer.

other way is leave a pc on and install the printer to that then share the printer across the network.

Or you could install a NAS (Network Attached Storage), some models support a USB to connect a printer, so you'd end up with remote shared storage (500Gb+ typically) plus a shared printer

I have a belkin router in my office at top of garden from hear I have two network cables running down to house which should be for two pc's can I run two pc's and xbox live down two cables at the same time?

Batty

I have a belkin router in my office at top of garden from hear I have two network cables running down to house which should be for two pc's can I run two pc's and xbox live down two cables at the same time?

Batty

yes batty as long as you have a switch to give several ports

yes batty as long as you have a switch to give several ports

So you can run more than one thing down a network cable if you have a switch is that correct.

Batty

yep

i'll do you a plan :x

phtt....:(

that would have sounded better if you had said.......

I have a cunning plan Blackadder!:|:DBlushing

:coat:^O

Thank you for that. When I get round to putting cable on landing its under floor at minute I will invest in a switch. Trouble at minute funds and time are the problem.

Batty

So, just to clarify, I take all my cat5 cables back to a central point & terminate them into a patch panel. I then use patch leads to connect from the patch panel to a Netgear switch or simalar & I plug the ethernet lead from my router into the switch. Will this distribute internet to all the Cat5 sockets around the house & create a network?

Cheers.

Why would you need a patch panel then a switch???

Just put all your network cables into the switch and then connect your router to the switch.

what he said^

:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

ROTFWL SL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/leesturbo/battylan.jpg

you can actually use a second router configured as a switch with some settings changes. alot of people have old routers lying around from when they have changed provider and got a free router

the 2nd diagram is how I have my PC and plasma connected currently as I only installed 1 outlet per room back in '97 when I wired the house for CAT5, any room that needs more than one port now I install an additional 4 port 1Gbit switch

With most off the self switches you don't need set anything, they auto handshake, very simple

Why would you need a patch panel then a switch???

Just put all your network cables into the switch and then connect your router to the switch.

Yup no need for a patch panel, wire them into the switch and your modem/router too!

OK, so can I use an old router as a wireless booster on my new system?

OK, so can I use an old router as a wireless booster on my new system?

no. not as such.

but you can have it as another wireless access point.

lets say you currently have router1 down stairs and you take your laptop upstairs to the furthest point from router1, the signal can be weak and slow your connection (i guess this has happened already and is why you ask)

now if you intall router2 upstairs which will need to be wired to router1!

you will now have a stronger signal. however the laptop will not swap from router 1 to router2 without a brief loss of internet connection circa 20secs.

but it will be automatic.

Archived