Help with network connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norv

Reaction score
Installing a small network in my house. Ive run 7 cat5e cables to 7 points & terminated them into the back of a patch panel. I'm assuming I then use patch leads but which ports are they plugged into on the front of the patch panel?

The patch panel is situated right next to where the modem for my internet is connected. How do I get to use the internet on any computer on this network ?

As you can tell this is my weak area!! :coat

Cheers

Installing a small network in my house. Ive run 7 cat5e cables to 7 points & terminated them into the back of a patch panel. I'm assuming I then use patch leads but which ports are they plugged into on the front of the patch panel?The patch panel is situated right next to where the modem for my internet is connected. How do I get to use the internet on any computer on this network ?

As you can tell this is my weak area!! :coat

Cheers
What have you actually got? is is a router with several ports off the back of it? (e.g. 4)

if so just pick any router port & plug it to the patch lead corresponding to the room where the computer is?

Unless i have misunderstood what you are describing NORV? :| ?:|

Might be simpler if you buy an 8 port Gigabit switch, plug the cable from your modem/router into port 8 and the rest in 1-7, job done

What have you actually got? is is a router with several ports off the back of it? (e.g. 4) if so just pick any router port & plug it to the patch lead corresponding to the room where the computer is?
Ive got a BT home hub with 4 Ethernet connections on the back of it. I dont want to keep having to plug & unplug leads according to which PC I am using.

Might be simpler if you buy an 8 port Gigabit switch, plug the cable from your modem/router into port 8 and the rest in 1-7, job done
OK I am open to options, the patch panel doesnt have to be the final thing. I can get rid of that. Where can I buy this stuff, have you got any links ?

Ive got a BT home hub with 4 Ethernet connections on the back of it. I dont want to keep having to plug & unplug leads according to which PC I am using.OK I am open to options, the patch panel doesnt have to be the final thing. I can get rid of that. Where can I buy this stuff, have you got any links ?
So ...

you want to stuff 7 room connections into 4 BT hub connections,

without needed to unplug anything when you move rooms or change PC???

Sounds like Robojin is pointing in the right direction? :|

Thanks for the information

How about if I had a printer in one room & wanted to print to it from any PC on the network, how can I do that ?

either purchase a network printer with its own ip address, belkin do a adapter to make a printer into a network printer.

other way is leave a pc on and install the printer to that then share the printer across the network.

either purchase a network printer with its own ip address, belkin do a adapter to make a printer into a network printer. other way is leave a pc on and install the printer to that then share the printer across the network.
Or you could install a NAS (Network Attached Storage), some models support a USB to connect a printer, so you'd end up with remote shared storage (500Gb+ typically) plus a shared printer

I have a belkin router in my office at top of garden from hear I have two network cables running down to house which should be for two pc's can I run two pc's and xbox live down two cables at the same time?

Batty

I have a belkin router in my office at top of garden from hear I have two network cables running down to house which should be for two pc's can I run two pc's and xbox live down two cables at the same time?Batty
yes batty as long as you have a switch to give several ports

Thank you for that. When I get round to putting cable on landing its under floor at minute I will invest in a switch. Trouble at minute funds and time are the problem.

Batty

So, just to clarify, I take all my cat5 cables back to a central point & terminate them into a patch panel. I then use patch leads to connect from the patch panel to a Netgear switch or simalar & I plug the ethernet lead from my router into the switch. Will this distribute internet to all the Cat5 sockets around the house & create a network?

Cheers.