Question about CU change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC101

Reaction score
I was working for an electrical contractor about a year ago and I did a job in a lady's house which consisted of a few kitchen light an a CU change. The Cu change was quite straight forward except that all the earth connections were about 3 inches long and too short to reach the earth bar which was on the other side of the CU. I joined each earth individually with a connector strip added proper sleaving and they all tucked neatly at the top end of the CU behind the other cables and to me it all looked quit neat and proper. Then the boss came along and said that it was not correct because to join the earths I would have to crimp them. I disputed this because the connector strips constituted a bolted connection and as they where inside the CU it required a tool to gain access to them. The boss insisted so to get access I had to strip the whole board down again and when I had finished it looked a mess compaired to the original. I would appreciate any comments.

I think your boss was being overzealous.

There is nothing wrong with connector blocks after all thats what they are designed for!

The connector strips were clearly visible behind the other cables at the top of the CU and if necessary you could get individual access to all of them if ever there was problem with the earthing. I always try to think ahead for the guy that comes along after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added the last comment and now I cant get out of this page!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was working for an electrical contractor about a year ago and I did a job in a lady's house which consisted of a few kitchen light an a CU change. The Cu change was quite straight forward except that all the earth connections were about 3 inches long and too short to reach the earth bar which was on the other side of the CU. I joined each earth individually with a connector strip added proper sleaving and they all tucked neatly at the top end of the CU behind the other cables and to me it all looked quit neat and proper. Then the boss came along and said that it was not correct because to join the earths I would have to crimp them. I disputed this because the connector strips constituted a bolted connection and as they where inside the CU it required a tool to gain access to them. The boss insisted so to get access I had to strip the whole board down again and when I had finished it looked a mess compaired to the original. I would appreciate any comments.
Well IMHO the bloke is talking borroxs!!!!! :|

From what you have said TC101 I think your connections ALL comply with regs...

134.1.4 (page 19) and section 526 (pages 106 - 107).

Obviously you could crimp them if you so wished but a screw terminal is also adequate in this situatuion............ :) ;)

Unless your boss can reference a regulation that I have missed!? :(

Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned earlier in the forum I had just returned to being a sparky after I had been away for a few years and it was one of my first jobs. I served my apprenticeship working in houses and generally I know what is what and what is not. But it shook my confidence. I have since been busy studying for the C&G 2391 and now have a better idea about these things. Thanks

Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned earlier in the forum I had just returned to being a sparky after I had been away for a few years and it was one of my first jobs. I served my apprenticeship working in houses and generally I know what is what and what is not. But it shook my confidence. I have since been busy studying for the C&G 2391 and now have a better idea about these things. Thanks
Applaud Smiley

Guiness Drink

That is without doubt one of the great benefits of this forum....

a broad spectrum of experience to debate and bounce ideas and opinions off with NO one going to call anyone daft or stooopid...

We can all learn or confirm various bits of knowledge when doubts arise..

no matter how skilled or knowledgeable we think we are.. NONE of us..

(I repeat NONE of us) know everything, and its good to back up our gut instinct with other trained and skilled persons!!

Guiness Drink

As far as I am aware connector strip should be fixed to the consumer unit otherwise its not classed as mechanically sound. Personally I use wago connectors for extending wires its a lot quicker and they cannot be pulled out easily.

Batty

I think Batty has it right

Although the boss was being a right pain !

Maybe he was relying on REG .Section 522.8

I think Batty has it rightAlthough the boss was being a right pain !

Maybe he was relying on REG .Section 522.8
I don't worry about regs its speed that counts and wagos are quicker than connector block.

I'm changing a CU that at present is near the ceiling. I suppose it should be replaced less than 1200mm from the floor. So whats the best way to extend each circuit by a few centimeters? Crimps, screw connectors, in enclosures? what do you think

Markie,

There is only a requirement on minimum heights of positioning consumer units if it is a new build. Alterations or Rewires do not have to conform with that regulation..install it in the same position as the existing one if it is more convienient for your wiring.

I'm changing a CU that at present is near the ceiling. I suppose it should be replaced less than 1200mm from the floor. So whats the best way to extend each circuit by a few centimeters? Crimps, screw connectors, in enclosures? what do you think
it only has to conform to new heights is new build or complete refurh. only thing for existing is it shouldnt be worse than originally, so you can leave it, but cant move it to top of wall if it wasnt already there

As far as I am aware connector strip should be fixed to the consumer unit otherwise its not classed as mechanically sound. Personally I use wago connectors for extending wires its a lot quicker and they cannot be pulled out easily.Batty
agreed:)

I don't worry about regs its speed that counts and wagos are quicker than connector block.
Agreed again..............Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Tea & cakes on Monday...... :x

(missed last few weeks.... hols! ;) :) )

it only has to conform to new heights is new build or complete refurh. only thing for existing is it shouldnt be worse than originally, so you can leave it, but cant move it to top of wall if it wasnt already there
concur...

Can make it better..

DON'T make it worse...

main point...

Who's paying?

If customer happy to pay to reposition to ease convenience of operation then do it! ;)

Agreed again..............Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyTea & cakes on Monday...... :x

(missed last few weeks.... hols! ;) :) )
Bank holiday Monday will have to be Tuesday, hope you had a good time away.