Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
hi guys haven't been on here for a while since college finished. passed level 3 with flying colours. got credit for 301 H+S exam and distinctions for the 302 and 303.although don't now how because i was pretty sure the best i could get was a credit for 302. anyway when i finished my final exam i spoke to my tutor about 2391 and the new 2392.he said the 2392 is worth doing but he also said to me that he didn't see me having a problem with the 2391 and if i had him as a tutor then i would definately pass it.so on friday the 21st i went to enrol and put myself down for 17th edition short course and the 2391. only to be told that the city and guilds have now decided that in order to do 2391 and the high failure rate you HAVE to do the 2392 first. on top of that in the space of a month the 2391 has gone from

Bud the 2392 is a stepping stone towards the 2391. The 2391 is NOT an easy course to pass, its far more difficult compared to the other electrical exams these days. I took the 2391 back in March and failed the theory section. I am now going to do the 2392 then go back to polish off My 2391.

AndyGuiness Drink

That's the first I have heard of that one.

With regard to the 2391 - have a look here: Click Here

Can you let me know if your college is listed too please?

PS. C&G 2392 - Fundamental Inspection & testing. (Single phase installations).

Hmm, you have to take 2392 first? This is news to me too (I'm a 2391 assessor). 2391 has a poor pass rate (often under 50%) mainly due to the poor standard of candidates. As others have said it is not an easy qualification to pass, but it isn't supposed to be!

The C&G state that 2391-10 is for "experienced personnel working in the electrical industry" and that "the qualification is not intended for non-qualified electricians and/or those who do not have experience in inspecting, testing and certifying electrical installations".

When Part P was introduced the various trade bodies told prospective members to get 2391, I had several candidates come before me who were plumbers, kitchen fitters, data installers etc who were baffled by 3 phase contactors and the like. These people had no need or desire to carry out periodic inspections on existing installations, they just need to be able to certify their own work, 2392 is ideal for "domestic installers".

As far as I'm aware the C&G do not insist on 2392 first, although it is a good stepping stone for inexperienced or under confident candidates. (2391 is a Level 3 qualification, 2392 Level 2). You could argue that your 2330 practicals are a higher qualification than 2392 & you're unlikely to learn anything new by doing 2392.

cheers for your replys.

ADMIN:the college i go to is west herts. www.westherts.ac.uk/ i've put the details down on previous threads but can't see it on your list.

BRIAN157:thanks for the info.to be honest i've got no idea what's involved in the 2391-10 and am only going on the opinion of my tutor when he says i could do it.whether i can or not is another matter.if you say the price seems right then i'll go along with it but when i'm paying

Have a look at the qualification handbook & FAQs on the C&G website, http://www.cityandguilds.com/1631.html you can also search for approved centres on their website.

2391 builds on the basic testing you've done already but concentrates on periodic inspections, which are different to checking your own new work.

I have been to a couple of sites and they all seem to mention that to do the 2391-10 a lot of colleges are now stating that you have to have 2392 before they will let you sign up for it, this seems to apply to other courses as well.

I can see their point, as besides the money they charge you they now also get extra monies for running the course based on the number off people that pass it, so if they have a bad pass rate then they get less money that is why they are now saying you must have this qualification before you do this qualification.

I know when I did the design course (2400 at the time), the college would not let you do it unless you had 2391.