3 lots of different lights in a kitchen...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistymoo

Reaction score
Hello,

The owners of the kitchen I am wiring would like 3 different "sets" of lights in it. 1 set of spots shining on their stove, sink and dresser, 1 "normal" set of 3 pendant lights and one set outside to light up their path. I have one incoming 1.5 mm t&e from the consumer unit that the last sparky in left. The lights must be capable of being swithed on independantly. The spots and the pendants must be 2 way (either side of the kitchen) but the outside one will have one switch only (back door).

Any ideas on how I do this as simply as possible please?

Thanks,

Misty

Draw it out on paper. It's not that hard - like wiring lights in three rooms except they are all in the same one. You will need to use the feed to the first light, take it to the second then the third.

I'd draw you a diagram but my scanner is not on.

Personally I would put outside lights through a double pole switch so that if there are any problems it can be easily isolated and the other lights could go on a two gang switch two wayed.

Batty

Misty

In view of the content of your post

especially...

In the interests of you and the owners of the Kitchen

The best advice would be to contact a Qualified Electrician

Hrrrm. I think I know what you mean. Can I not just put a junction box in the feed and split it 3 ways to begin with?

MistyIn view of the content of your post

especially...

In the interests of you and the owners of the Kitchen

The best advice would be to contact a Qualified Electrician
Technically I am a Qualified Electrician. I have both my part P and 17th ed but lack practical experience.

I am contacting other Qualified Electricians here. Usually you lot are quite helpful but I find your tone a little Unhelpful this evening.

Mistymoo.

My previous post was not meant to offend, it was given with the best intentions.

The questions you have put forward are on very basic and fundamental Electrical wiring theory.

It must be said if you are unable to carry out this work then you need the assistance of a more experienced Electrician on site with you !

What qualification is the "Part P" you state that you posses ?

Excuse the bad drawing, best i could do on laptop!

lighting.jpg

Excuse the bad drawing, best i could do on laptop!
lighting.jpg
Andy....

your drawing shows

1 lot of 2-way switching

and

2 lots of 1-way switching

I may be wrong...... but I thought Misty needed....

2 lots of 2-way (Spots & Pendants)

1 lot of 1-way (outside)

? ?:| ? :|

Andy....your drawing shows

1 lot of 2-way switching

and

2 lots of 1-way switching

I may be wrong...... but I thought Misty needed....

2 lots of 2-way (Spots & Pendants)

1 lot of 1-way (outside)

? ?:| ? :|
i think it should have been... il edit it later

Misty , Guys on here only try to help, no offence impied, but I'm puzzled too , if you are registered for Part P a scam provider has deemed you to be a "competent person" and with the 17th edition you are more qualified than I am , I just feel you should be OK doing that kitchen job.

Think radial lighting circuit.

Each point you intend to have, think of as a different room.

I suggest at a point before the swith for an outside light a double pole isolater as if you have problems with the ouside light at some stage it can be cut from the rest of the circuit.

I would wire it in T&e but just do it in an industrial type way, thinking of the pvc coating as your conduit. Wire it in the back of the switches as you would 3 plate it in a ceiling rose.

As said best draw it out before you start and are confident.

I would also agree that you may need some time with an experienced spark to help you, do a few rewires as a labourer (for free), it makes things so much clearer.

I did it. Not done second fix yet so not sure if it works!

Thanks for your pictures. I have a lot of theory in my head but not a lot of practice and NO ONE will take me on to work with them EVEN FOR FREE so I am a bit stuck. I'm doing work mainly for friends and family at the moment until I get my head around stuff.

Nice one mate I totally understand where your coming from there are alot of people out there who aint gonna help ya even when your wanting to learn so much and even offering to work for free. Just get on with it and do the best you can making sure all your work tests good with correct results. Theres alot of people in the same boat as you and at least your on here asking people how to do it rather than 'winging it'

Good luck

Matty

Nice one mate I totally understand where your coming from there are alot of people out there who aint gonna help ya even when your wanting to learn so much and even offering to work for free. Just get on with it and do the best you can making sure all your work tests good with correct results. Theres alot of people in the same boat as you and at least your on here asking people how to do it rather than 'winging it' Good luck

Matty
I am a bit worried about you Matty, Misty moo is of the female kind.

Batty

:eek:

Welldone you mistymoo.....

I didnt see your original post otherwise I'd have posted.