Iscolator for tt system?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Got a possible tt cu upgrade in a few weeks time. I have inspected it and told the customer that they need the meter tail upgraded. The electricity supplier have come out this morning and told the customer that the supply side are ok, the consumer tails need upgrading but that's not down to them and also an iscolator installed. I knew the consumer tails needed upgrading but where do I stand when connecting to the meter? They have hinted to the customer that They won't report it if I change them but I'm not sure!!

Also does the tt system have to have an iscolator installed. The electricity supplier told the customer that they can do it which suggest to me the iscolator is before the meter. I'm a bit confused with this

Is the iscolator on the consumer side of the meter? Being a tt system it would normally be a 100ma rcd but with the dual rcd 17th edition board I'm going to supply I shouldn't think I will need it.

to change the tails you need to break meter seal or have isolator fitted. if you look again, im sure you will notice the seal is already gone....

unless there is evidence of tampering, there not that bothered if they can see why it was done. just go for it

Meady, the tails from the meter [ or Isolator if installed ] to the cunsumer unit are your customers property. If you decide to renew these and try to do so without first pulling the cut-out fuse first then bear in mind the prospective fault current at that point if you short something out..it is illegal to tamper with the suppliers equipment so dont be guided by anyones encourgement on this site to do so.If you do make your own descision to connect the tails then you will also have to consider the possibility of having to cut the seals on the Main fuse also. Before anyone replies with the cry of " But its common practice"....Yes maybe so but bear in mind the supply authority lads have already called out to this job. what have they logged on their job sheet ? and you yourself are not sure are you....Make your own judgement Mate !

This Q crops up a lot, do we dont we ...

There's a short thread on diy.not on it which goes along the same lines ..

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not a TYPO -

The Electrical Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations have an entire chapter on the use of