Contactors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishornby

Reaction score
I'm having a real problem getting my head around this...

I need to swap one contactor for another to do exactly the same job.

Don't want to go into too much detail but if anyone can help me out it would be great. Attached pics hope this makes sense (not to me!) but ask any questions if you need more info.

DSC06836.jpg

DSC06835.jpg

what wiring goes to the bottom of existing? and is the existing NO on all 4 poles? not clear from pic.

and whats the coil voltage on existing?

providing existing is 4 pole NO and same voltage, should be a straight swap. although A1/A2 are in slightly different place

doesn't show. can only see 13 and 14 NO and doesn't show coil voltage on the side can only see 690V? The fuse carrier on the left takes the incoming and the outgoing goes next to it all linked besides a2.

Do all 4 poles need to be linked then?

whats wrong with existing?

best get a voltage meter and check coil before connecting. better pir of bottom terminals would be useful, but it should be a case of swap like for like

The existing is a single pole. I'm connecting straight from a 60amp mcb so doesn't the contactor switching the power have be rated the same or higher? Also needs to be able to house 16mm.

Difficult to see from pic ! If the top terms are all looped I guess its single phase and if you say its 60 amp then the load is spread across all three contacts . Is it a heating contactor ? The coil looks as if its switched by the yellow in A2 with a return from A1 to N/Open which I 'm guessing is acting as a holding-in contact.

What size is the fuse in the Bussmann carrier ?

the fuse is a 32 amp same as the contactor but I need to change to a 60amp one. It's to switch a supply off for a sound limiter.

I think you should be OK then , with that Wylex, spread the load as before. Is it a club or whatever with loud music then , ? The sound limiting device would be switching that yellow cable then , I think. Does it cut the supply to the amplifiers then , .?

Anyway I thought people enjoyed being deafened by sound systems these days ?

Deke

the fuse is a 32 amp same as the contactor but I need to change to a 60amp one. It's to switch a supply off for a sound limiter.
Have you actually put a continuity tester across the contacts to verify which are OPEN / CLOSED?

I think thats what I would do if I had any doubts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The new contactor is a 4 pole contactor and the old one is a 3 pole with an auxillery contact.You need to verify if the auxillery is needed.