Spotlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Whats to normal-best way to wire up ten spotlights in a front room. Itll be a new circuit from the board. I cant use a junction box above ceiling as it wont be accessible.....right

I know its well basic but if someone could point me in right direction rather than say call an electrician please help

thanks in advance

The best way is to route the supply from the consumer unit through the switch position and up to the lights looping in and out till you reach the last light. What will be the total wattage of the lights and do you intend to install a dimmer switch....Also you are running in a new circuit , Do you know about the Regs for RCD Additional protection of the cables,AND do you know this work needs to comply with the Building Regulations Notification Scheme....it may well not be as you put it "well Basic" !

a1- thanks for you help here. Total wattage is 10 x fifty watt downlights. Is this too much for one room and i got another silly question you cant have 2 dimmer switches can you. As its a 2 way lighting (1 switch either end of room). The breaker will be RCD protected. I know about Notification etc I have my 2330 Level 2, Full Scope PP, doing 17th in September then doing level 3.

Thanks again for taking time to reply and not shooting me down too much.

Matt

M4tty, the number of lights required depends on factors such as the area of the room the height of the ceiling, the colour of the decor and your preference of ambient light. you say you will install a dimmer, therefore the question of too many lights will only become an issue if you think the amount will look overbearing on the ceiling.

You can still have two way switching but only one dimmer & one standard on/off switch [ 2- way ] is what will be required,.

{ edit }

You may also wish to split the load over 2 switches- 500w bearing in mind your intentions for using dimmers

If you can put the junction box in the ceiling how does it become inaccessible ?

Sorry i didnt explain properly . a drop ceiling is being put in and i was going to run the cables in then its was going to be boarded and plastered then iwas going to second fix downlights

cheers for reponding

Matt

M4tty.

If you decide against looping into the switch direct from the consumer unit then you could still wire the first light as a standard loop-in ceiling rose arrangement but without installing any Supply loop-out cable. You could then wire s/L/ n/ & P.E out to the next light and so on till the last on the run. Junction boxes are availale to fit through downlight holes and all these connections can be made at the 2nd fix stage without access from above.

The junction box is therefore classed as accessible [Through the downlight hole]

Is that lv or mains voltage, mains voltage usually have to have dimmer downrated and I learned the other day that megaman dimmables also have to have dimmer downrated which suprised me.

Batty