Earthing change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldPeeBee

Reaction score
I am about to change a DB in a stable block to TT; as at the moment it has an exported earth from the main house (TNC-S). The DB is a split load board with a 30mA RCD for the power side; main switch is standard 100A. Should I change the main switch to a 100mA RCD or utilise the existing RCD as a main switch/RCD for all circuits?

install a dual split (which will be cheaper than split load with TD main switch). every circuit must be RCD'd, and if you install a 100mA main switch, you may not comply with the 30mA req'd for certain circuits, and you wont have discrimination

Trying not to replace the board as it is only 3 years old. Just need to cover the 4 lighting circuits which are on the non RCD side.

Andyc - TD main switch??

TD: Time Delay (as in rcd with a time delay to satisfy discrimination with other RCD's.

Not sure all RCBO's will disconnect both Line and Neutral.

Trying not to replace the board as it is only 3 years old. Just need to cover the 4 lighting circuits which are on the non RCD side.Andyc - TD main switch??
you can mod a split load to make a dual split. providing you have 2 spare ways

Is there any reason why I can't cover the whole board with one 30mA RCD; with or without utilising the main switch.