Walk over/drive over lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
I'm going to install 6 drive over lights in my block paved driveway at the weekend connected to a pir and overide switch. The lights come with 1.5m rubber cable which will be terminated into a junction box. My question is....does the junction box have to be accessable? (hope not) and if I can bury it what junction box would people recommend? The box is going to have 2.5 swa entering it with 6 rubber cables from lights. Am I right in saying it's ip68 rated aswell?

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.meadelectricalservices.co.uk/

I'm going to install 6 drive over lights in my block paved driveway at the weekend connected to a pir and overide switch. The lights come with 1.5m rubber cable which will be terminated into a junction box. My question is....does the junction box have to be accessable? (hope not) and if I can bury it what junction box would people recommend? The box is going to have 2.5 swa entering it with 6 rubber cables from lights. Am I right in saying it's ip68 rated aswell?Thanks for any advice.

http://www.meadelectricalservices.co.uk/
It depends upon what type of joint terminations you use, (not what type of box/enclosure)

If you have screw terminals.. YES must be accessible!

Solder, Crimp, Cold Resin, Maintenance free joints etc... NO accessibility needed.

The regs recommendations are in

Reg 526.3, Page 106 of the Big Red Book!

Assuming you use a Suitable joint method,

you just need any appropriate enclosure to protect the joint from mechanical damage, ingress of water etc..

You would verify the proper ingress protection based on the environment that you fix the box...

IP68 may be a little overkill, (that could go in the bottom of a pool)

first digit '6' - "fine dust particles"

&

second digit '8' - "continuous immersion"

HTH

The wife now wants to put lights down the side of the house and out back. I'm going to have 15 lights in total and decided to use a 24v dc transformer which is capable of 16 lights at 1.5w in a 30m run of cable. The instructions suggest using a 1mm rubber flex. As this is a 24v dc supply do I have to worry about extra cable protection if the cable is buried under new block paving?

Extra protection / conduit would be a help if you needed to replace or service any of the lights in the future, ;)

and also to protect the cable when the mrs is digging out dandelions with a knife! :eek:

Just crimp the joints and use a suitable enclosure to bury in the ground, that should do the trick :)

Guiness Drink

you can get mechanical connectors too, head shears off when torque is achieved. no access req'd

IP68 may be a little overkill, (that could go in the bottom of a pool)

first digit '6' - "fine dust particles"

&

second digit '8' - "continuous immersion"

HTH
depending on where its installed etc, IP68 could be best... depending on ground conditions, it may well be almost submerged during heavy rain, i.e if the ground is clay, water may fill voids around it faster than it can drain away