EARTHING a swimming pool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HONEYMON57ER

Reaction score
hi folks,

i've been asked by a customer to provide earthing equipment for a swimming pool. He doesn't seem to know exactly what is needed but has been told to get down to 20 ohms resistance and that he may have to use a copper

earthing plate.Has any one had any experience with this type of install? He is

an NICEIC spark by the way not a d.i.y-er

thanks, Barry

there is a ref in the big red book 702.410.3.4.3.

For connection to the main equipotential bonding?

Guiness Drink

To be honest there aren't too many people with swimming pools near me so I don't know to what its refering ?:| ? :|

I'll be interested to see though,

Im sure some of the 'old boys' ;) on here will have more of an idea. :)

Guiness Drink

thanks, that article mentions earth mat, is that the same as a latticeearth plate?
I thouhgt earth mats (grounding mats) were used in bathrooms etc.. over underfloor heating wire.

What are we earthing , is it just the pumping and filtering equipment or what.? I have only done a very small one , equipment was made in Canada ,if memory serves, all of it had RCDs in the control panels. Didn't do any extra earthing other than back to the DB.

I'm sure something like this as mentioned on my 17th edition course. I seem to remember that it was suggested a swimming pool would need an earth mat, the lattice type as already mentioned and that it had to go all round the pool and for a distance from it as well. Sorry can't be more helpful

did one at a leisure centre took 50mm earth from main earthbar to local earthbar in pool plant room then bonded all pipework ect also bonded all rebar before concrete was pored for pool foundations & hand rails

yours benji

I'm sure something like this as mentioned on my 17th edition course. I seem to remember that it was suggested a swimming pool would need an earth mat, the lattice type as already mentioned and that it had to go all round the pool and for a distance from it as well. Sorry can't be more helpful
When I did my 17th edition we were told to bond to the reinforcing of the concrete, I replied what was the point when X amount of tons of concrete is poured on top then how the hell can any one touch the reinforcing? If water got down to the reinforcing then it would cause what is known as concrete cancer.

hi folks,i've been asked by a customer to provide earthing equipment for a swimming pool. He doesn't seem to know exactly what is needed but has been told to get down to 20 resistance and that he may have to use a copper

earthing plate.Has any one had any experience with this type of install? He is

an NICEIC spark by the way not a d.i.y-er

thanks, Barry
there is a ref in the big red book 702.410.3.4.3. For connection to the main equipotential bonding?

Guiness Drink
Right...

1/ I have NO personal experience of installing swimming pool installations...

But I do have customers with swimming pools.

2/ Is this pool Indoor OR Outdoor?

e.g. I have a customer with an outdoor garden pool which has a small building with pump & filter equipment...

because this is Remote to the main house it has its own rod 'TT' instalkltion...

dunno what the resistance is though?!!! :(

3/ That quote of Sarni in '702.410.3.4.3' (ii), page 171 of big red...

is in relation to TN-C-S installation, it suggests an earth mat OR electrode with Earth loop less than 20ohm is connected to protective equipotential bonding.

I am guessing that this job is a TN-C-S (PME) and the guy needs to get a local earth (mat OR rod) by the pool with 20ohm or less.

My first question would be.....

What IS the resistance if you just stick in a standard Rod??

once you know what that is... you can then decide the best course of action....

e.g. if Ze of rod is 25 - 40 ohm..

I would probably go down the "try a second rod option" first.

I am assuming that if it is a PME installation .. the pool is considered as another exposed conductive part likely to introduce an earth notational,

So try rods, tapes, etc to get supply equipment as low as possibly.

:D :|

Then you refer to earth mats are you talking about the 120cm * 60cm Stainless steel plates.