Are you busy?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarzan

Reaction score
Hello fellow electriciansROTFWL, How are we all doing? Are your phones ringing? Are we working? Things seem to have picked up? Comments please. Many thanks Tim Moore Electrical Pray

I seem to be always busy but cashflow seems worse than normal have had to put of paying my main wholesaler and vat for a few weeks has not happened for a long time.

Batty

its up & down all the time, at the moment i have nothing on, but in a few week i should be busy again... just about keeping my head above water

I have been busy all year, working saturdays as well, not as much money as in previous years but very pleased so far.

Doing ok at the moment. Customers are taking longer to pay up though, so I've lowered my "payment due by" time on invoices.

Customers are also learning the art of haggling so I found today (a rough quote of a letter I had through the door, my missus was so gobsmacked she rang & read it to me)

"Thank you for your quote ref ***. We are willing & would very much like to use your services to undertake the quoted electrical works, but we do have some concerns over your labour rate/charge for said works.

If you are willing to renegosiate the labour cost to a more favourable level, we will have no hesitation in agreeing to you undertaking the work.

Many thatns

Mr & Mrs ********"

X( ROTFWL

I wouldn't mind but it's only to add 1x socket + 1x fused spur supplying outside above door a bulkhead light all extended off ringmain. length of cable run is all of 5-6mtrs to be enclosed in conduit all work in the kitchen/utillity room, tested & certed & notified.

Labour

Doing ok at the moment. Customers are taking longer to pay up though, so I've lowered my "payment due by" time on invoices.Customers are also learning the art of haggling so I found today (a rough quote of a letter I had through the door, my missus was so gobsmacked she rang & read it to me)

"Thank you for your quote ref ***. We are willing & would very much like to use your services to undertake the quoted electrical works, but we do have some concerns over your labour rate/charge for said works.

If you are willing to renegosiate the labour cost to a more favourable level, we will have no hesitation in agreeing to you undertaking the work.

Many thatns

Mr & Mrs ********"

X( ROTFWL

I wouldn't mind but it's only to add 1x socket + 1x fused spur supplying outside above door a bulkhead light all extended off ringmain. length of cable run is all of 5-6mtrs to be enclosed in conduit all work in the kitchen/utillity room, tested & certed & notified.

Labour

I work for a firm which does a lot of council work, so work is steady there. As for my own work, for the past 6weeks iv had work every weekend and a few night in the week, but the past week I've had nothing, and nothing is coming up, which isn't fun when I've got to pay 700quid to get my van fixed.

working two jobs at the same time currently although it will probably go dead again afterwards

I started a thread on this subject a couple of months ago, I had little work then, have been non-stop for the last 8 weeks !! I think I invoiced zero for March !!

I think in the last thread McGaw was the busyist sparks in the world , looks like nothing has changed.

The phone is not ringing much , its just a lot of jobs all needing to be done at the same time. I don't need it to ring at the moment, too much going on.

could always give some of it away..... dont forget travel expenses though!
A Scotsman giving something away, are you kidding !! And to a Sassonach !!!

(How do they spell that? ) You'll be saying they have a good soccer team next.

Woops perhaps I'd better sign off before Mcgaw reads it. ; \

I've actually ceased trading... :eek:

Not enough work and too many sparky's in the area, however I have my regulars who still come back to me and pay cash.

Whether I return to self employment pit is unlikely, I currently have an employer, who provides me with a van/fuel card/mobile...Thanks M8

:)

I've actually ceased trading... :eek: Not enough work and too many sparky's in the area, however I have my regulars who still come back to me and pay cash.

Whether I return to self employment pit is unlikely, I currently have an employer, who provides me with a van/fuel card/mobile...Thanks M8

:)
I sometimes wonder if its worth being self employed. Since the part p came in the paperwork has got ridiculous. Trouble is do you put your prices up to cover the time spent and then become to expensive or keep prices down to keep busy. Money has been really tight this month and until I finish the big job that I have been doing I will not get any more money. Hopefully going to finish it Tuesday. Anyone who says being self employed is a great thing must be doing it better than me.

Batty

I sometimes wonder if its worth being self employed. Since the part p came in the paperwork has got ridiculous. Trouble is do you put your prices up to cover the time spent and then become to expensive or keep prices down to keep busy. Money has been really tight this month and until I finish the big job that I have been doing I will not get any more money. Hopefully going to finish it Tuesday. Anyone who says being self employed is a great thing must be doing it better than me.Batty
Like in any business, there are winners and losers and many more stuck in the middle, just making ends meet.

At least self employment does offer independence and freedom to choose work (especially if you are overloaded)..

:|

I sometimes wonder if its worth being self employed. Since the part p came in the paperwork has got ridiculous. Trouble is do you put your prices up to cover the time spent and then become to expensive or keep prices down to keep busy. Money has been really tight this month and until I finish the big job that I have been doing I will not get any more money. Hopefully going to finish it Tuesday. Anyone who says being self employed is a great thing must be doing it better than me.Batty
Have to agree with you there Batts , although there is a lot to said for being your own boss. The way the trade is going paperwork will only increase.

When things are going well you can't beat being self employed, and under normal financial conditions your earnings must be better than earning profits for someone else to sail off into the sunset with.