Three and a half years of my time wasted !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavyLeary

Reaction score
Im 29 but when i was 19 i served 3 and half years of my time as an electrician ! or so i thought so for the first year but as i went around i realised other apprentices were attending college and i wasnt. My boss never registered me and after being promised year after year and basically doing the work of a fully qualified electrician, 3 and a half years in i was let go.

Im now 29 and have no qualification. Its a major regret in my life but im fully commited to get back to it, determined in fact. 29 isnt really past it and i dont think any boss would have doubt because of my age, would he/she ?

Now i am able to do the work of a fully qualifed electrician but i just dont have the qualification and want to know how to obtain it in Scotland.

Iv enquired about things like Train4trade and access2careers but they have a high price and i just simply cant afford them as iv just become a father.

Im now living in glasgow and its tough going over here (work wise). If anyone has any advice for me or knows someone that has been in a simliar situation please lt me know as i will take all the help i will get with open arms.

Thanks

Davy like you when I left school I worked as a trainee electrician. The people I worked said they would not send me to college. So I got fed up with the low wages and then got a better paid job but it did not have good prospects. I did my training evening classes as I could work in the day and learn evenings. College is the best route I think as you should not get ripped off as some of these short courses seem to. Could you not get a job as an electricians mate and do the evening course route if they do this in Scotland.

Batty

I did some courses at Stow College Glasgow to bring me up to-date after being away from the trade for a few years. I did the 16th edition in late 2007 and then the up-grade to the 17th edition in 2008. I also did the Portable Appliance Testing course there. I found the couses quite good and both the college and the tuters very helpfull. Also, if there is any funding you can get, they are very knowledgeable and will point you in the right direction so it would not do any harm to give them a ring and discuss it.

I did some courses at Stow College Glasgow to bring me up to-date after being away from the trade for a few years. I did the 16th edition in late 2007 and then the up-grade to the 17th edition in 2008. I also did the Portable Appliance Testing course there. I found the couses quite good and both the college and the tuters very helpfull. Also, if there is any funding you can get, they are very knowledgeable and will point you in the right direction so it would not do any harm to give them a ring and discuss it.
Other than the City & Guilds 2377 (PAT - Portable Appliance Testing) and the City & Guilds 2382-20 (Update BS7671:2008) - What other City & Guilds Electrical courses do they do, Mate?

I have been to their website - but it is down. :(

So...

... They do the

2330 Levels 1 & 2

2377 (PAT)

2382-10

2382-20

What about the 2391-10 & 2391-20?

Whatever you do, do not go for one of them money raking scam training schemes.

I hate them, they make all the promises and give false hope to thousands whilst they holiday in the carribean, and drive flash cars.

Do the college route far cheaper, and more easily recognised.

29 is still young!

I have had a lad working with me today who is 35, he did his first year then had to stop for family reasons, he has now enrolled at college, and his practical side is taken care of working for me.

He is one of the best workers I have had!

At Stow college they also do the C&G 2391-10 and the C&G 2391 - 20

I did the C&G 2391-10 myself a little while ago.

I thought they where quite good. You can do the Practicle part of the exam at the college and they are not trying to trip you up or give you sneeky bits it is straight forward.

As far as the theory is concerned, they go over very well the things you have to know and cover. There is no way they can know exactly what the exam will conscist of because it is different every time. However they did cover all the territory. I took the theory exam and it was F'n hard. I am waiting for the results soon . It takes six weeks to get the results and I am certainly not making any assumsions about passing.

As a matter of fact the tutor gave out a little note about guidance to help pass the exam- it started with the words " On this exam the C&G people do not take prisoners" and that about summed it up.

hey all,

im 24 and still looking for a start 2 train but none to be seen. i'm also in glasgow and in scotland there are very few courses in the evenings apart from the ones mentioned at places like stow. think one place does the 2330 but only up to level 2. of course there is the crzy priced places that do it in 2 days! starting to consider them though as you woudl take something from them, but it'd be expensive and in these times have to question whether it woudl be worth it! i ideally would like to go throught SECTT as adult learner, but even for that need years experience as mate or elec labourer...so if anyone has any going??!

Davy,

As already said a couple of times in this thread, stay well clear of these private (supposely) quick fix course to become an electrician. Its a complete RIP OFF!

Colleges is the best route and it won't be crammed into a few weeks. As Batty has suggested, why not try to get some work as a sparks mate whilst doing a day release or evening class at college?

Good luck! ;)

Stow College (Glasgow)do-

C&G 2377-11 Portable Appliance Testing

C&G 2377-12 Management of Electrical equipment

C&G 2382-10 17th Edition

C&G 2382-20 17th Edition

C&G 2391-10 Inspection and Testing

C&G 2391-20 Design and verification

They do Day courses and evening courses

You can call them on - 0844 249 8585 EXT 529 or 530

Fax - 0141 576 0243

If you contact them they will be happy to send you a list of courses and exam dates

together with prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys ill go for that Stow College. My partner told me they were good also.

Tell me though do i need any sort of qualification to work as a Sparks mate ?

I am no expert as I am at the same level as you and same age. couple of years working as a mate, no quals to my name relating to Electrical work,

I managed to get a test only for 17th edition, cost me

I am no expert as I am at the same level as you and same age. couple of years working as a mate, no quals to my name relating to Electrical work,I managed to get a test only for 17th edition, cost me

Well if your goal is to work as a domestic electrician, or as a mate I found that a good number of jobs I see advertised require 17th edition as it shows an understanding of working to the regs.

The test its self seems quite simple, its all book based, no practical what so ever, its a 60 question multiple choice test with a pass mark of 60% or more, and... you get to take the book in the test room with you!

I like you also have been out of the game for a little while, so after passing this ill then start ot look for a job as a mate, Then when working as a mate I can look at getting some more experiance and getting part p registered.

I guess it will all boil down to what you want to do in the end mate.

The bottom link you posted is the course I am doing, well I say course, im just doing the test but if you done the course least you get your foot in the door at the college, have someone there who can give you some good advice.

Please remember with my advice I am not a practicing sparky, yet! but from the research I have done, from the advice I have been given, this seems a good way in.

Try to think where you want to end up, what sort of work you want to do and work backwards, what are the jobs in the area you want to work requiring you to have for example.

1)Get yourself enrolled aprt time in college for 2330 level 2 then do level 3

2)Straight after level 2, get the the 2381 17th Edition (there are sometimes summer courses but likely that you will have to wait till Sept)

3)After level 3 get the 2391 Inspection and Test

Total cost for this = Nothing - its FREE if you are 'unemployed' at the time you apply for the course at college.

I think part time level 2 takes 2 years. And part time level 3 takes 1 year.

Don't worry about wasting your time. You have something that no one else at college has - experience. Remember, 2330,2381,2391 blah blah are just pieces of paper. They mean jack **** - what employers want are people who can get on with a job, don't ask too many questions, and do things right.

I hope you are getting a qualified electircians wage - you should be.

And yes, most employers want to keep their workers unqualified and therefore cheap.

Good luck.

1)Get yourself enrolled aprt time in college for 2330 level 2 then do level 32)Straight after level 2, get the the 2381 17th Edition (there are sometimes summer courses but likely that you will have to wait till Sept)

3)After level 3 get the 2391 Inspection and Test

Total cost for this = Nothing - its FREE if you are 'unemployed' at the time you apply for the course at college.

I think part time level 2 takes 2 years. And part time level 3 takes 1 year.

Don't worry about wasting your time. You have something that no one else at college has - experience. Remember, 2330,2381,2391 blah blah are just pieces of paper. They mean jack **** - what employers want are people who can get on with a job, don't ask too many questions, and do things right.

I hope you are getting a qualified electircians wage - you should be.

And yes, most employers want to keep their workers unqualified and therefore cheap.

Good luck.
I beg to differ on this one, without these bits of paper I wouldn't have a business and I certainly wouldn't employ anyone without them.

An electricians training is continuous and at the very least they should be up to date with the current regulations.

I know some great sparks that haven't kept up with the regulations etc because they think they did all the training they needed during their apprenticeship. These are the same sparks out there that can't get work because of blah,blah,blah.

Davy - focus on doing the courses and get the qualifications you need at a local college. You should find it easier if you have done some prevoius electrical work.

Good luck!