Who would you go with

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny7299

Reaction score
just starting out an wondering how to go with

any idead of cost, been looking at Napit... but not sure, most people know NICEIC????

just starting out an wondering how to go with any idead of cost, been looking at Napit... but not sure, most people know NICEIC????
You should be able to get details of ALL of the various scheme cost of their respective websites?

IMHO I don't think there is a VAST money saving differnce... you ain't going to get it half price!!! ; \ :^O

NICEIC Dom Inst costs are:-

I went with the NICEIC when I started up and I will stay with them for the foreseeable future...

It's not because of cost, customer service or anything else like that...

It's because they have the best/highest profile in my target customer base

If you do commercial/industrial work then only NICEIC is recognised but that would be full membership not just Domestic Installer Part P. If its for Part P only then any will do , they are all equal, go with the cheapest , I,m with ELECSA who are fine , nice and simple. ELECSA are now owned by ECA .

Deke

If you do commercial/industrial work then only NICEIC is recognised but that would be full membership not just Domestic Installer Part P. If its for Part P only then any will do , they are all equal, go with the cheapest , I,m with ELECSA who are fine , nice and simple. ELECSA are now owned by ECA .Deke
Who are a highly respected organization.

Don

If you do commercial/industrial work then only NICEIC is recognised but that would be full membership not just Domestic Installer Part P. If its for Part P only then any will do , they are all equal, go with the cheapest , I,m with ELECSA who are fine , nice and simple. ELECSA are now owned by ECA .Deke
er... ECA is the same as NIC for commercial stuff...

and im not reg'd with anyone for commercial stuff. and i wouldnt be with elecsa if i didnt have to

I went with Elecsa, they were the most helpful when i phoned them up, so i decided to give them my money.

they also say that as a part of ECA they are on the contractors side not on the customer side like NIC, though, if you do your job right this will not be a problem!.

the only thing i dont like about elecsa is that you have to give the customer a warranty info flyer to give them the option of taking out cover, NIC give it to the customer but charge an extra 1.50 to notify a job its 3.00 with NIC, only 1.50 with Elecsa.

oh just another thing that i like about elecsa, you can download there certs free with cert numbers, if you want to bye a pad they are cheaper than NIC, NIC want to charge for everything they can! (they used to be a non profit org, not any more!).

that's my view anyway.

I never bother with the warranty stuff, I have enough paperwork to prat about with without that crap .TBH
yeah, i find it a pain, also i feel a tad stupid saying to the customer

" oh you better get a warranty out on this love" not to mention feeling like a dixons sales man.

i just have it written on the bottom of my invoices and give it out to them if they ask about it.

the only thing i dont like about elecsa is that you have to give the customer a warranty info flyer to give them the option of taking out cover,
i never give that leaflet out. i dont see why i should have to print their flyers and hand them out myself for free. imagine if you asked them to print flyers for you and to distribute them!

You missed SELECT, who have more members in Scotland than NICIEC have registered companies

Can't fault SELECT.

Was in NICIEC until last year.

I had an issue (their fault) and found their help line was far from this

Told the guy on the other end they should rename it the helpless line as they faied to tell me they guy I was looking for was on hols for 3-4 weeks. They just told me they sent him an email and it disappeared into cyberspace.

Couldn't get past the helpline - they would not escilate the problem, nor put me through to someone with a modicum of technical knowlege

I'm with British standards. They may not be one of the largest part p providers and probably not one of the cheapest but I like to be different and they suit my needs for what I need to do comply with the part p scam.

Batty

Full Scope Napit member (commercial, Industrial, domestic) and have been for a few years.

I found them more friendly than the NICEIC when I approached them and they seem to suite my business.

You missed SELECT, who have more members in Scotland than NICIEC have registered companiesCan't fault SELECT.

Was in NICIEC until last year.

I had an issue (their fault) and found their help line was far from this

Told the guy on the other end they should rename it the helpless line as they faied to tell me they guy I was looking for was on hols for 3-4 weeks. They just told me they sent him an email and it disappeared into cyberspace.

Couldn't get past the helpline - they would not escilate the problem, nor put me through to someone with a modicum of technical knowlege
Thats poor really, I always had the impression they were not really behind you as a contractor TBH

NICEIC.

1. Best known to my customers.

2. Has been commented before that some housing associations / councils / contracting companies will specify NICEIC only.

3. Who cares about the cost? Offset against tax anyway.

4. Ditto for certificates & LABC notification.

5. Other than engineers visit once a year, I never have an issue. I don`t use the tech. helpline anyway.

if you point out to housing assos etc that scheme providers are just that.

they will generally accept.

they have blinkers on and think if your not nic your not registered headbang

Quite an important issue to me at the moment as i'm trying to decide who to go with. The only reason i'd go with NICEIC is the fact that they are the most well known but i'm not sure this is a good enough reason. I hear good things about Elecsa. Probably going to have a good chat with them at Elex next week.

Dorry, that info is incorrect tom. At no time can you "sign off" others` work - the closest you can get is to issue a PIR if the work has been completed by someone else, and they can`t / won`t issue a cert.

100% mate

KME