qualifications required to go self employed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeff737

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first time here so be gentle;)

after a quick look over the forum i can see its going to very usfull indeed.

My question is that having passed the C&G 2330 level 2 what other qualifications do i need to start a business that will only do domestic work??

thanks alot.

Hi all, this is my first time here so be gentle;)after a quick look over the forum i can see its going to very usfull indeed.

My question is that having passed the C&G 2330 level 2 what other qualifications do i need to start a business that will only do domestic work??

thanks alot.
Hello zeff, welcome to the forum...

The short answer to your question is NONE whatsoever!!!

there is NO legal requirement to to have any specific qualifications at all.

i.e. all you need to do is Inform the TAX man you are commencing self employment then try and get some customers who are willing to pay you to do some work!

Any notifiable work you would have to pay the LABC to come out and test & certify for you!

(Remember BS7671 is NONE statutory, it is just guidance for good practice,

and a DIY bod can legally do what they like with their home electrics!!!) :eek: :(

However... a more practical answer would be...

If you want to provide a quality, professional, safe, fully tested & cover your own backside approach...

May be good to get a level 3 qualification and once you got some experience under your belt get Inspection & testing.

To self certify you work also get enrolled with one of the PartP scheme providers.

Get some Public liability insurance (generally

Are there many people out there that have started up with no quals? would be a right hastle wouldnt it to get permission before doing the job, then get it tested after by LABC, cant be a good business plan... can it?

Are there many people out there that have started up with no quals? would be a right hastle wouldnt it to get permission before doing the job, then get it tested after, cant be a good business plan... can it?
Of course not!

Some cowboys don't notify. Some 'handyman' type jobs don't require notification (eg change live for like, add spurs etc)

Is there a list/more info on stuff people can do without needing to inform LABS? not able to find anything on there website myself, got a mate who is doing up there place, I might find something I can do to keep me busy and earn some beer money ;)

I guess changing a consumer unit is a no...

Is there a list of stuff people can do without needing to inform LABS? not able to find anything on there website myself, got a mate who is doing up there place, I might find something I can do to keep me busy and earn some beer money ;) I guess changing a consumer unit is a no...
AFAIK you can without notifying:

1. extend an existing circuit (outside of a special location)
  2. change accessories like for like (anywhere)

so spurs to power, new lights, new socket fronts etc all ok.

(doesn't mean shouldn't be tested tho)

Is there a list of stuff people can do without needing to inform LABS? not able to find anything on there website myself, got a mate who is doing up there place, I might find something I can do to keep me busy and earn some beer money ;) I guess changing a consumber unit is a no...
Notifiable work includes:

any new circuits.

CU change.

alterations in Kitchens.

alterations in Bathrooms.

work that crosses gardens.

(a lighting accessory on the outside wall of the property is NOT notifiable but a socket outlet is)

underfloor heating.

central heating control wiring.

Non notifiable work includes:

Like for like replacements.

Replacements of damaged / faulty cables fittings.

Alterations to existing circuits in:- lounges, dining rooms, bedrooms, garages, loft void, conservatories.

work inside detached garages and shed is NOT notifiable, but a new supply to them is.

Prefabricated wiring systems are not notifiable if they connect via a 13amp plug (e.g. some pre moulded garden wiring systems)

Cookers & showers are NOT notifiable unless a new circuit is installed.

I think thats it!

pages 8 & 9 of approved document P is the place to get this info! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought one of the best qualifications you would want before going it alone would be experience. No college course on this earth is going to show you what to do if the poo hits the fan whilst on a job.

Some cowboys don't notify. Some 'handyman' type jobs don't require notification (eg change live for like, add spurs etc)
ROFLMAO

I have totaly hijacked this post aint I!

Do you think this is a good idea of getting started in the trade? a little brief history about me..

I am 30, have worked in the past as an electrician mate (mainly on domestic work, price work, rewires and so on)

I had to leave that so I am working in... sales! so I am thinking right now if I called up a firm I would not get a look in now as I been out the trade for almost 2 years.

So my idea is to sit 17th edition (idea being it shows I am willing) then after this my plan was to try and get a job then as a mate and work my way over time to Part P but mainly want to get my C&G 2330 done.

I would be keen to get my inspection and testing done if not for anything else but more cash to be honest (not greed, more... bills/overheads)

I would guess some of you guys will be in a position where you recruit or are closer to it than me, what is a good way in?

do a good domestic installers course, get your 17th eddition, get some work experiance then register with nic eic, dont work out your depth

thanks, didnt realise you replied, I saw Tom and thought it was me! :D

Ok thanks ill take a look at the NIC EIC website, cheer

blimey...

that is confusin....

tom1

tom79

Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

tom1

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

tom79

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

tom197

tom971

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

I am confused......................:pheadbang:p:O

ADMIN............................

CAN I HAVE SOME MEDICATION PLEASE :_| :_| :_| :|Pray

I do wish people could think of proper names...

like.......

Eric or Brian or Jane or Barbara?! X( ]:)

Well, I am Tom and I was born in 1979 you see, its all very scientific.

I googled Tom79... clicked the 1st link... I think ill change my name ROTFWL