Bonding external gas pipe

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Hi there,

just need some advice on this one please,

Aunt has just had B. Gas service boiler and their engineer has noted no main bond to gas meter.

Property is a bungalow, meter box at front of building and the pipes are clipped externally along the wall for about 6 metres just under the soffit before disappearing into the roof space.

After having a look in the loft, the main bond is visible on the pipe work and continuity verified from CU, although near to the edge of loft so not the easiest place to check things out if needed.

There is only the combi boiler that uses gas so I am thinking that would be a better place to run main bond to.

What do you sparks think, or will it need to be re-routed to the external meter box?

Thanks for the feedback AndyC.

Erm I have just checked regs 544.1.2 which does say within 600mm of meter or point of entry if meter is external, so am thinking the same as you and no need to re-route cable, however I will print a couple of labels and put one in gas meter box and other on CU to inform location of main bond.

Thanks once again:D

As Riggy & AndyC said..

Whats the problem?

best get the Gas man to read his regs book IMHO!?

Try Page 135

Regulation 544.1.2

The main euipotential bonding connection to any gas water or other services shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that service head to the premises. Where there is an insulating section or insert at that point, or there is a meter, connection shall be made to the consumers hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. where practicable the connection shall be within 600mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external.
From what you have said Robin... I believe the last few words of the above regulation seem to apply in your instance???? ;) :)

Thanks for the feedback AndyC. Erm I have just checked regs 544.1.2 which does say within 600mm of meter or point of entry if meter is external, so am thinking the same as you and no need to re-route cable, however I will print a couple of labels and put one in gas meter box and other on CU to inform location of main bond.

Thanks once again:D
ahh you was readin while I was typin!! :( ROTFWL

Robin.

The pevious posts are correct in relation to the requirements of B.S. 7671,However Gas installers have to comply with their regs..i.e.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 Approved Code of Practice Part D Installation pipework

Amongst other things ,it places an obligation on them not to connect a Gas Meter unless satisfied the Bonding is in place. The problem stems from the fact that they are not deemed as a Competant Person as far as Electrical Matters are concerned, therefore if they cant see the Bond at the Meter Either they should Report the matter to a suitable Competant Person for verification of the existance elsewhere of the Bond, or Not connect the meter .

The Stickers at the External Gas Meter box and at the Consumer unit appear to be the most appropriate solution in your particular instance.

Does your auntie watch Emmerdale, becasue is she does , my aunttie does as well