outside wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernard longden-thur

Reaction score
Hi, i have an outside job for a woman, she wants power in her garage. The garage is about 15M from the house, but without an excavation digger it is going to be impossible to dig a hole as i have tried and a cantenery wire will look out of place. Is there another alternative that can be used, i have not done this type of job for years.

catenary wire with armoured attached might be the only answer, cable must be armoured, you cannot use twin and earth conduit cable or any other form of cable including rubber :^O

external-productpic.jpg

For mechanical protection, incase some one decided to hit it with something sharp and metal. etc

Is there no alternative discreet cable run that you could take using SWA?

Obviously you will need to think about likelyhood of cable being damaged, volt drop etc..

Or howabout getting this woman to agree on a local driveway company to quote on diggin trench and then making good once you,ve layed cable. They might agree on it if short of work or in between jobs.

You need to tell customer that there is a certain amount of electrickery you can do, but invisible cabling or 3G power to open her garage doors hasnt been done yet.

Tw/e was always used on catenary wire in the old days. When I first started out we did quite a few to supply buildings in schools. But personally myself I always use swa that way it should outlast the life of the building.

Batty

I suppose it all depends on the location, doesn't T+E react badly to exterior conditions and become brittle over time?

I suppose it all depends on the location, doesn't T+E react badly to exterior conditions and become brittle over time?
Over many many years the PVC degrades with UV light - as with almost all plastics.

absolutely no reason why t&e couldn't be used if its installed to a correct reference method and reasonably not expected to be damaged

i.e flat clipped to a wall

i wouldnt like T&E on a cat line. H07RNF or similar would be a better alternative
Concur..

solid conductors over a moving support wire structure???

not the best IMHO:(

T&E can be fixed to solid structures externally...

providing suitable consideration to any external influences are taken into account.

UV from sunlight & mechanical damage are two big ones!

personally I would Never use an unprotected PVC T&E on a long external run.

ok for a short drop to an accessory e.g. light / PIR. :| ;)

Concur..solid conductors over a moving support wire structure???

not the best IMHO:(

T&E can be fixed to solid structures externally...

providing suitable consideration to any external influences are taken into account.

UV from sunlight & mechanical damage are two big ones!

personally I would Never use an unprotected PVC T&E on a long external run.

ok for a short drop to an accessory e.g. light / PIR. :| ;)
Applaud Smiley