LED downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikel

Reaction score
I've been asked for a quote to install some downlighters in a bathroom. Customer has said he would like LED downlighters that are dimmable. I've not done much with these (welll to be honest not done anything with them) What are the LED downlighters like in terms of general room lighting, Can they be dimmed, or should I tell him to forget his LED lights

As far as I'm aware LEDs can't be dimmed as it's incompatible with the drivers.

You would definatley need to double check the spec of the specific lamps you are going to use...

e.g. have a quick surf over LED lamps on Screwfix / TLC etc...

most that I have seen tend to say..

"NOT DIMMABLE"!!! :(

You would definatley need to double check the spec of the specific lamps you are going to use...e.g. have a quick surf over LED lamps on Screwfix / TLC etc...

most that I have seen tend to say..

"NOT DIMMABLE"!!! :(
the ones i have say nothing about dimmable or not

Just had a quick search re "Dimmable LED's"

came accross this page..

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Transformers-for-12V-LED-Lighting.htm

where part way down it says...

Dimmable TransformersStandard transformers cannot be used with LED bulbs. Fortunately new dimmable LED drivers are coming onto the market. They are still pretty expensive, but prices will come down in the next couple of years, and the electricity cost savings are still sufficient to cancel out the extra initial costs
.So they are out there....

may be a bit pricey...

But I personally have not fitted any dimmer LED fittings...

Let us know what you find or do Mikel? :|

Use a PWM driven circuit to allow the LED's to achieve the "dimming effect"... These can be quite pricey though

Why do they want LEDs? Would dimmable GU10 CFLs not be a better option?

Think the customer has some strange ideas about being 'green'. He also asked could he have an extractor fan in bathroom that would recycle the heat it was 'extracting'

CFLs are quite good on energy not as good as LED but alot better light although i havnt tried the expensive ones.

Vent Axia do a heat recovery system but its

Think the customer has some strange ideas about being 'green'. He also asked could he have an extractor fan in bathroom that would recycle the heat it was 'extracting'
My experience the poor misguided fools don't care about the cost or payback periods. They think they're saving the planet. That won't happen whilst domestic energy use is 10% of all consumption. It's like peeing in the sea.

My experience the poor misguided fools don't care about the cost or payback periods. They think they're saving the planet. That won't happen whilst domestic energy use is 10% of all consumption. It's like peeing in the sea.
and my mum always told me to pee in the sea if the water was to cold....

to warm it up a bit!!!!! :( :_| :| ; \

and my mum always told me to pee in the sea if the water was to cold....to warm it up a bit!!!!! :( :_| :| ; \
Anyone else noticed sea levels are rising once we stop whale hunting?

Coincidence?.............................

:eek:

How long is he going to spend in the bathroom. I think he will be disappointed with Led's and as for dimming them I don't think he will need to.

Batty

We tried some high bay LED lighting out recently....Lets just say these LED high bays where about as good as a candle when in the roof... They were ok about 20ft off the ground tho ^_^

Recently fitted some LED 12v lights in a restaurant - false wooden ceiling 2" below concrete - previous halogen lights were blowing regularly and scorching the wood. Transformers were mounted at the side if the ceiling away from the lights.

We had hell of a job - spec stated that existing transformers could be used with reduced lamp life - but we ended up with pulsing effect and eventual transformer failure. TLC stocked the 3W LED lamps but not LED drivers.

Screwfix do the drivers - all working now.

Restaurant reckoned it was a bit dim - but I think they have now realized it's an advantage that people can't see what they are eating!

Basic advice - if 12v use proper LED drivers. Don't expect the same light levels - but they should last a long time - so if you have to pay for maintenance it's probably a good move. Green? Fit some lovely fluorescents!