What I saw from my window

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC101

Reaction score
A couple of years I was looking out the window of my upper flat window. It was about 6 o'clock on a Friday evening. Outside it was raining quite hard. There is a lamppost outside my house and someone had loosened the coverplate at the bottom of the lamppost about 2 feet from the ground. The coverplate was hanging at right angles to the lamppost and was held in position by the heavy duty cables which were connected to a connector block on the cover and had an earth cable connected to the metal plate.The lamp light was on.

On top of the cover plate stood stood two little children about five years old. Both standing on the plate and bouncing up and down and both holding onto the metal lamp post for balance. I wonder if others had seen it. Anyway I rushed down and got the children off. I was frightened to touch the plate myself because of the rain. I used a piece of wood to get it more or less back into position and used something to tie it in place. I phoned the council Street Lighting Dept. which was an answering machined and reported it and suggested they dont leave it so long to repair. But I still find it slighly amazing and lucky no fatalities.

Lucky mate !

Think most have seen some bad situation one of mine was when i was with SEB as a meter recert eng i was in some mad hatters house who had kids as young as 3 shoved under stairs in cupboard like harry potter ! playing with toys etc to my surprise the terminal cover was missing on the meter exposing the live conductors/terminals when i explained to the owner how little tim could have been killed etc they just said yer its been like that for ages !

Some people eh !

Regards

Kung.

Lucky mate ! Think most have seen some bad situation one of mine was when i was with SEB as a meter recert eng i was in some mad hatters house who had kids as young as 3 shoved under stairs in cupboard like harry potter ! playing with toys etc to my surprise the terminal cover was missing on the meter exposing the live conductors/terminals when i explained to the owner how little tim could have been killed etc they just said yer its been like that for ages !

Some people eh !

Regards

Kung.
Probably for when they change the cables round so it goes backwards.

:D

Probably for when they change the cables round so it goes backwards. :D
If the property was on staverton road then thats a given Batty.

Kung will know the place I'm on about.

I lived on a busy main road and there was a street lighting column outside and it was flashing on and off. Very annoying at night. I finally flipped and went outside at 2AM with a key for the column ( I worked for the electricity board at the time) opened the column and pulled the fuse and chucked it over a hedge and went back to bed.

I lived on a busy main road and there was a street lighting column outside and it was flashing on and off. Very annoying at night. I finally flipped and went outside at 2AM with a key for the column ( I worked for the electricity board at the time) opened the column and pulled the fuse and chucked it over a hedge and went back to bed.
could always complain to council the light is shining in your property. had a duct tape the cover on a few street lights before to stop it shining in gardens/windows

It was common back in my younger days to see lampost electrics exposed.. :eek:

I think they are more secure these days.

:|

Latest posts